Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much revision have year 12's done since september? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How much revision have you done since september and has that revision payed off (i.e. any class tests you've had)
    I do bio, chem and maths btw

4 hours after school (6-8 including free's as I only take 3 subjects and have too many free's )

2 hours on weekends (this should hopefully be bumped upto 5 hours)
    Any answers appreciated

ReputationRep:
    none

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guccimane100)
    none
    Cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_d2010)
    Cool
    probably gonna start soon just wondering at what time do you come home and at what time do you start revising and how much breaks do you have during that 4 hour period as to me that seems bloody long mate. I come home from school at like 5pm

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!!

I only take 3 subjects too which is the best decision of my life so far because I'm able to manage everything so well compared to some of my friends that have taken 4 alevels! I took similar to you: biology, chemistry and geography.

I have 11 free hours a week in school so I always use them for revision or homework and then I'll usually do say 1-2 hours after school each day. My revision ca majorly varies on the weekends though, for example, last weekend I didn't do anything because I didn't have any motivation and I just wanted some 'me' time and to be with my boyfriend but other weekends I might do anywhere from 2-6 hours.

In terms of grades it has really paid off! Last half term I got my 'current grade card' and I got A* (chem), A (bio), B (geog). In my latest tests I got an A in Chemistry (the only A in the class and the class average is E which really shows how much you really do need to revise at Alevel) and I got a B in Biology (Im quite happy with this because it was a SUPER hard test).

ReputationRep:
    probably gonna start soon just wondering at what time do you come home and at what time do you start revising and how much breaks do you have during that 4 hour period as to me that seems bloody long mate. I come home from school at like 5pm
    Man's aiming for the top innit , sorry but seriously, I cope home at 4:00, I start revision at 6:00 and end at 11:00 which 5 min breaks (I hate breaks) and watch lucifer and tuesdays , You're in GCSE so you don't have to revise as much as me but I'm aiming for A's in yr 12, so gotta do what you gotta do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_louise1)
    Hi!!!

I only take 3 subjects too which is the best decision of my life so far because I'm able to manage everything so well compared to some of my friends that have taken 4 alevels! I took similar to you: biology, chemistry and geography.

I have 11 free hours a week in school so I always use them for revision or homework and then I'll usually do say 1-2 hours after school each day. My revision ca majorly varies on the weekends though, for example, last weekend I didn't do anything because I didn't have any motivation and I just wanted some 'me' time and to be with my boyfriend but other weekends I might do anywhere from 2-6 hours.

In terms of grades it has really paid off! Last half term I got my 'current grade card' and I got A* (chem), A (bio), B (geog). In my latest tests I got an A in Chemistry (the only A in the class and the class average is E which really shows how much you really do need to revise at Alevel) and I got a B in Biology (Im quite happy with this because it was a SUPER hard test).
    Thanks babes , are you in yr 12 or 13?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks babes , are you in yr 12 or 13?
    year 12:groovy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_louise1)
    year 12:groovy:
    That's not possible, then how did you get an A* in chemistry, the highest you can get in yr 12 is an A?

ReputationRep:
    I remember year 12 was a huge jump and people don’t realise it till they are actually doing a levels

ReputationRep:
    I’m also doing bio, chem, maths (and English lit as a fourth)

To be honest, I do the bare minimum of revision after school - I only revise what I’ve covered in class and go through the next topic. The majority of revision I do is on Saturday, and is about 5 hours.

I have literally no frees - only 5 a week. I guess that’s what happens when you take a fourth.

But it’s mocks in 2 weeks I’m going to start properly this week (meaning Friday NOT today )

ReputationRep:
    That's not possible, then how did you get an A* in chemistry, the highest you can get in yr 12 is an A?
    It was the way the teacher graded the class test we had done beforehand which were the grades that went onto the grade cards. I don't know tbh, it's just the way that the teacher did it

ReputationRep:
    None really. I've started doing some physics here and there. I do maths but that's more as a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    Some schools don't do AS in year 12, they do the full A Level meaning that year 12s can get A* grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deliciate)
    Some schools don't do AS in year 12, they do the full A Level meaning that year 12s can get A* grades.
    Really, I didn't know that?

ReputationRep:
    what did u get at gcse if u dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Really, I didn't know that?
    Yeah your school pays for you to sit the AS exam because they believe it to be a better indicator of your final year 13 A Level results because you have the same exam pressure and it's an external exam so examiners mark it. However, with those doing the full A Level course in year 12, the exam in May-June they sit is essentially a mock because it's marked by teachers. Both are used as predicated grades though.

ReputationRep:
    what did u get at gcse if u dont mind me asking?
    an A*, 4A's 4B's and a C

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I do biology, chemistry, maths and psychology.

I've been revising as I go along really, writing up my notes and occasionally reviewing them. I've had a couple of small tests in chemistry in which I got A+ and then a mock last week where I got an A. Biology, I got an A- in the recent mock. Psychology A+ in the latest two essays and maths I'm yet to know how I'm doing. My revision has definitely been paying off though! I expected to start off by getting C and B grades but guess not! Constant reviewing of notes is key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Twilight)
    Hi, I do biology, chemistry, maths and psychology.

I've been revising as I go along really, writing up my notes and occasionally reviewing them. I've had a couple of small tests in chemistry in which I got A+ and then a mock last week where I got an A. Biology, I got an A- in the recent mock. Psychology A+ in the latest two essays and maths I'm yet to know how I'm doing. My revision has definitely been paying off though! I expected to start off by getting C and B grades but guess not! Constant reviewing of notes is key.
    Thanks, can i ask a few questions :
    1) Do you do flashcards and/or questions (from textbook or online etc.) as you go along
    2) I do the same amount of revision as you but I got B's and c's in my chemistry and biology class tests (I just got 1 A in biology), why do you think this is?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.