The Student Room Group

If you were a professor . . . .

would you make your class real easy, lol? :smile:
Reply 1
Hell no, make the students work for it :devil:
Reply 2
I make the tests easy, lol, and sometimes I look back at their grades to see what grade they need on this test in order to pass, lol. :smile:
And give him or her that grade, lol. :smile: They are only taking the class for the credits, lol. They won't learn anything from it, lol. :smile:
Reply 3
I don't know. I think that I should look at it from their perspective and operate from that and just help them pass, lol. :smile:
What's the challenge in that?
Reply 5
It is not about taking it on as a challenge. It is about looking out for my students, lol. If I get a class (if I progress that far) where I'm teaching a class for students in that major, then I'll make the class harder and teach it like how I would've wanted it to be taught when I took a similar class, lol. :smile:
Original post by mcpon14
It is not about taking it on as a challenge. It is about looking out for my students, lol. If I get a class (if I progress that far) where I'm teaching a class for students in that major, then I'll make the class harder and teach it like how I would've wanted it to be taught when I took a similar class, lol. :smile:

The class shouldprepare the students for their careers etc. As long as it fulfills this tequirement where they have sufficiemt knowledge and good insight into their chisen subject area, I don't see the problem.
The thing with students is you have to gidn a good medium, too hard, some are put off, too easy, they tend to slack.
Sure, a bit of fun, excitement, praise, heck even rewards etc need to be applied more. But 'easy' just so they can pass, no no.
Reply 7
Absolutely not. Of course you want people to pass, there are ways and means to doing all you can to ensure that without dumbing down and risking standards. We'd be crucified in our place if we intentionally made the subject matter easy (not that I am convinced it's really possible with a lot of it).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Well, I've been teaching for a few years and I've made my classes easy, lol, because they are just taking the class, I assume, just to fulfill general education requirements, lol. They are not learning anything for their careers or their majors, lol. :smile:

P.S. I'm talking about the American education system here, lol. :smile:
Original post by mcpon14
Well, I've been teaching for a few years and I've made my classes easy, lol, because they are just taking the class, I assume, just to fulfill general education requirements, lol. They are not learning anything for their careers or their majors, lol. :smile:

P.S. I'm talking about the American education system here, lol. :smile:

:lol: the american system still confuses me. I thought we were talking u.k.
As long as you don't just teach for the test, ofc depending on time. I got taught just for the exams, saps the interest out of it.
Reply 10
Another difference is that in the UK not just anyone that teaches for a bit can call themselves 'professor'. It's a position offered after years of recognised excellence in research contribution. The odds of an actual professor here making anything easy are, in my experience, very short indeed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
I teach to the test and the essays but many of my students are ESLs, so I have to put that into consideration. For the tests, I basically just give them 5 questions to take home and for the tests I pick 2, lol, for the essay portion. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by gjd800
Another difference is that in the UK not just anyone that teaches for a bit can call themselves 'professor'. It's a position offered after years of recognised excellence in research contribution. The odds of an actual professor here making anything easy are, in my experience, very short indeed.

I'm not a professor. I'm a part-time lecturer, lol. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by mcpon14
I'm not a professor. I'm a part-time lecturer, lol. :smile:

Yes, I gathered as much.
Reply 14
No, not easy. I'd want my students to think for themselves, probably coming up with weird ways of teaching and testing them. Oh ad I'd **** with them a decent bit for a bit of banter.
Original post by mcpon14
I teach to the test and the essays but many of my students are ESLs, so I have to put that into consideration. For the tests, I basically just give them 5 questions to take home and for the tests I pick 2, lol, for the essay portion. :smile:

I suppose it depends on the subject?
Reply 16
Mine's history, lol. The only ones that are open to me are basically world history, United States history and East Asian history (if they have it), lol. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest