The Student Room Group

Photography Course after a gap year

Hi guys,
I've been out of education for, well, more than a year and I've been travelling. Seemed like the right thing to do. I've come to the conclusion that I want to study Photography, or at least something of that ilk. I have never studied anything like this previously however and so my previous education may not be of a huge amount of help when applying.
Does anyone have any experience with access courses for photography bachelors, or can offer any advice on where I should be looking to be more informed.
For reference, I'm 20 (soon to be 21... which is also terrifying) and a UK citizen.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by AnthonyJT
Hi guys,
I've been out of education for, well, more than a year and I've been travelling. Seemed like the right thing to do. I've come to the conclusion that I want to study Photography, or at least something of that ilk. I have never studied anything like this previously however and so my previous education may not be of a huge amount of help when applying.
Does anyone have any experience with access courses for photography bachelors, or can offer any advice on where I should be looking to be more informed.
For reference, I'm 20 (soon to be 21... which is also terrifying) and a UK citizen.
Thanks in advance!

For photography you would normally be better looking at an art and design foundation diploma. They’re more common than access courses for creative subjects and there’s plenty with media/lens based pathways.

A lot of people even with photography A level aren’t quite ready for a degree - FAD courses are designed to bridge the gap.

If you’re over 19 then you have to pay fees but there’s a Advanced Learner Loan that covers the fees. Because they are FE courses (like access) there’s no living costs loans available though.

Quick Reply

Latest