The Student Room Group

Fearing change & Everything I ever stand for

Hi,

So I am 24, young, single and trying to adjust to life post university after a year. Whilst, I am grateful for being so young and privileged - I do believe that like others I have changed a lot.

When I was younger I was never really interested in banks and money. I guess it boiled down to the fact that my parents were into business and had assets. Came from a middle class family and all my parents ever wanted me to do was to study really hard and do a job I would enjoy. Since a young age technology appealed to me so I did a Computing course at university and pretty much smashed it.

Anyways, ever since I graduated from university, I have ended up working in financial services - an industry I never wanted to go down in the first place. Now, you like many others may question why I did this. But I guess at the time, I didn't have much of a choice. After graduating in June 2016 I went on holiday and came back to find that the graduate market was closed for Computing graduates. I struggled greatly to try and seek employment within technology companies and well companies or organisations that were not in financial services. Come mid November or so, I was starting to get really depressed after loads of rejections and no leads until one day one of the largest financial services in the UK needed some graduates for a project. At the time, I applied for it and got it in the end.

Now, that job was temporary and I am unemployed again. But this time, when I have been applying for jobs again I'm being rejected by places that are not necessarily in financial services. Some of the ones that appeal to me like the NHS really underpay and well the role does not marry up or live up to what I really want to do in life. Sure the NHS is extremely rewarding - I used to work there for like 1 year and a half. The thing is, financial services organisations keep contacting me for jobs they have which may be of interest of me. Those jobs seem to match up to what I want to do as a career - i.e being a software engineer. But then, taking these jobs mean that I'm being hypocritical and going against my views on working for places that only care about money and nothing else.

I used to be against working for banks yet I ended up working for one.
I used to be against having a beard but now I have one
I used to be against drinking but now I drink on big occasions.

I just fear that I may be extremely hypocritical and fear the change
as long as you don't use your money for evil purposes there is nothing wrong in being well paid.

Quick Reply

Latest