The Student Room Group

being forced to do things by my partner, feel like an animal.

My partner is forcing me to take medication I do not want to take. I don't believe it will help me it will just make me fat, lazy, and stupid as well as other side effects (that's assuming it's what the psychiatrist said it was not the poison I am sure it is that would cause even worse damage).

If I was unemployed, even more unmotivated, weighed 300lbs and didn't get out of bed until 3pm she seems to think that would be a better scenario than now. I don't think so. But she keeps checking my pill box and watches me swallow them 3 times a day. If I make any kind of argument she shouts at me and threatens to call my psychiatrist to have me sent to a psychiatric hospital.

I feel like some kind of animal with no choice over my own life. We just had an argument over me taking tonight's and I told her I felt like a dog and she told me not to act like one then. I took them in the end because again she threatened to have me sent to a hospital but I can't live like this. Just now she told me I "will" take them forever and have no choice in that matter.

I feel so angry about this situation and hopeless. I don't want to take these ****ing things. I do love her but this is driving a wedge between us. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

You're given this medication for a reason. The fact you call it poison, and deny needing them, says to me that you do in fact need to take them. Your partner is saying that because she's scared for you, and because she loves you. You can only get better if you help yourself.
She is trying to help you. :smile:
Marry her if anything, she’s trying to help you and you should be reassured that she gives a **** about you
What is the medication for?

If it's something silly like ADHD then don't do it. If it's something serious à la schizophrenia or epilepsy then my advice is to take it.
Reply 5
Original post by 2017
lol you sick person, do you even know what the medication is, woman?
you are giving serious advice here just using your own arbitrary judgement??
your judgments sucks I can see that from your choice of your profile picture. Any person with a sound appreciation of aesthetics knows that u are ugly in RL.. ugly woman gtfo of the internet and start working out..

and just because you are a slut and you stick many diecks inside your body it doesnt mean that you are pretty... stop mixing up things

lol???? What is your problem with her anyway? Such an arrogant
Reply 6
Original post by Hirsty97
What is the medication for?

If it's something silly like ADHD then don't do it. If it's something serious à la schizophrenia or epilepsy then my advice is to take it.

My partner says I'm "psychotic", I think she's just naive.
Reply 7
Original post by A-LJLB
You're given this medication for a reason. The fact you call it poison, and deny needing them, says to me that you do in fact need to take them. Your partner is saying that because she's scared for you, and because she loves you. You can only get better if you help yourself.

Why would someone who loves someone else threaten to have them locked away? :lolwut:
Call 999
Wow i really think its tome for you to leave her. Honestly at this point it doesnt matter if you love her or not i think if shes forcing you to do something you dont want to and is threatening you then thats just scary. If i were you id really think about calling the police but i really doubt youd do that but i definitely think you should seriously consider leaving her for good before she takes full control over your life
Original post by Heyok
lol???? What is your problem with her anyway? Such an arrogant

Never spoken to them before; this time of night is notorious for trolls, I'm not insecure enough to take it personally :smile:

Original post by Anonymous
Why would someone who loves someone else threaten to have them locked away? :lolwut:

You're not "locked away". You wouldn't be sent to a psychiatric hospital unless your doctor felt it was in your best interests to be there, regardless of whether your partner threatens it or not. Your psychiatrist is there to help you. Your partner wouldn't stick around if she didn't care about you, and even then it can't be easy for her.
I don't know what you're going through, but it must be horrible. However, if you don't trust them and take your medicine, you won't get better. Psychosis is not a joke. I hope things improve for you.
Original post by A-LJLB
You're not "locked away". You wouldn't be sent to a psychiatric hospital unless your doctor felt it was in your best interests to be there, regardless of whether your partner threatens it or not. Your psychiatrist is there to help you. Your partner wouldn't stick around if she didn't care about you, and even then it can't be easy for her.
I don't know what you're going through, but it must be horrible. However, if you don't trust them and take your medicine, you won't get better. Psychosis is not a joke. I hope things improve for you.

She keeps threatening to tell the psychiatrist things about me which is apparently enough for him to hospitalise me. According to her threats.

I've taken medication for years and it made me fat, stupid and lazy. That's assuming what I have now is medication which I don't believe. :colonhash: So there is no getting "better" from taking it. Just feeling like crap.
She keeps threatening to tell the psychiatrist things about me which is apparently enough for him to hospitalise me. According to her threats.

I've taken medication for years and it made me fat, stupid and lazy. That's assuming what I have now is medication which I don't believe. :colonhash: So there is no getting "better" from taking it. Just feeling like crap.

It's not her that determines whether or not you're hospitalised. It's your doctor. I would assume she's making these threats because she's worried you're not getting better and denying needing them, so she sees no other way to persuade you to take them than to threaten you with the prospect of hospitalisation. She's trying to help you in her own way.
Are they anti-psychotics you're taking, if you don't mind me asking? The side effects of them can be horrible, however they wouldn't be prescribed to you if they weren't better than the alternative of not taking them. I'm no expert, I simply work with and help people with psychosis, but I'm guessing it's what you need.
Do you have someone to talk to about your concerns, including feeling as though you're being given poison? Medication only helps a certain amount, and it could be your current medication isn't right for you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
It's not her that determines whether or not you're hospitalised. It's your doctor. I would assume she's making these threats because she's worried you're not getting better and denying needing them, so she sees no other way to persuade you to take them than to threaten you with the prospect of hospitalisation. She's trying to help you in her own way.
Are they anti-psychotics you're taking, if you don't mind me asking? The side effects of them can be horrible, however they wouldn't be prescribed to you if they weren't better than the alternative of not taking them. I'm no expert, I simply work with and help people with psychosis, but I'm guessing it's what you need.
Do you have someone to talk to about your concerns, including feeling as though you're being given poison? Medication only helps a certain amount, and it could be your current medication isn't right for you.

Threats are a pretty mean way of doing it.

Yes they are apparently antipsychotics. I don't tink the alternative is worse. I hadn't taken them for over two weeks before she started forcing me and now I have really really bad headache and nausea and I feel so out of it. Not to mention the left over problems from before I quit taking them.

I don't have anyone to talk to.
My partner is forcing me to take medication I do not want to take. I don't believe it will help me it will just make me fat, lazy, and stupid as well as other side effects (that's assuming it's what the psychiatrist said it was not the poison I am sure it is that would cause even worse damage).

If I was unemployed, even more unmotivated, weighed 300lbs and didn't get out of bed until 3pm she seems to think that would be a better scenario than now. I don't think so. But she keeps checking my pill box and watches me swallow them 3 times a day. If I make any kind of argument she shouts at me and threatens to call my psychiatrist to have me sent to a psychiatric hospital.

I feel like some kind of animal with no choice over my own life. We just had an argument over me taking tonight's and I told her I felt like a dog and she told me not to act like one then. I took them in the end because again she threatened to have me sent to a hospital but I can't live like this. Just now she told me I "will" take them forever and have no choice in that matter.

I feel so angry about this situation and hopeless. I don't want to take these ****ing things. I do love her but this is driving a wedge between us. :frown:

I think this medication might be good for you. You're worried about things you shouldn't be and I think this medication will help that.
How your partner is acting is quite mean, but she's trying to help you. She'll be worried for you and being worried can make you rude to the people you love.

Don't worry about taking it forever, but maybe give it some time to see how it works. When are you next seeing your psych? Could you agree to give it a go until then so your partner doesn't worry so much and you can see if it helps at all in that time?

You do have choice over your own life, but I'm not sure you're seeing things quite clearly so your partner is trying to help you and she only knows to do that by being a bit mean and pushy.

I'm sure you're suffering a lot of nasty stuff for your doc to be wanting you on these meds so would it not be nice to be free of some of that, even if it does mean you get a bit out of shape or have some side effects?

She's pushing you and making threats because she doesn't want to see you suffer and watch that hurts her. If she can't help you then she has no choice but to take you to somebody who stands a chance and who can take some of the pressure of her.

I know this is really hard for you, but it's hard for her too and that's why she's ending up being mean. It sucks for you to have people treat you like an idiot or an animal, but they're doing it because they want to see you feeling better and they believe that the medication will do that.

I'm sorry I'm kinda doing the same thing, but I do think it's worth at least giving these a try for a while.

Yes they are apparently antipsychotics. I don't tink the alternative is worse. I hadn't taken them for over two weeks before she started forcing me and now I have really really bad headache and nausea and I feel so out of it. Not to mention the left over problems from before I quit taking them.

I agree, threats aren't the best way, but it can be hard for some people to deal with the mental health challenges those close to them face. Anti-psychotics can make you feel horrible for weeks.They're renowned for making those that take them feel zombie like and causing headaches/nausea. Some have worse side effects than others. I would honestly advice you to talk to your psychiatrist about your concerns. It may be that an alternative medication suits you better, and helps settle your delusions of feeling you're being poisoned. Nobody can force you to take your medication, you're in control of your body and ultimately it is up to you. But please speak to your psychiatrist before you stop taking them, like with any long-term medication you should come off them with the advise of a professional.

I'd also advise you to try and find someone to talk to, whether it's weekly or monthly etc - anything is better than nothing. It doesn't even have to be in person - there's services available to speak to people online or via phone calls. You shouldn't have to go through what you're feeling alone. I don't know what you're going through, nobody does, but I do sympathise greatly with your situation, and although you may never 100% recover, there's every possibility that whatever you're going through will gradually have a lesser effect on your life to the point you can be happy.

Antipsychotics and that sort of thing do usually make you feel unwell before they start helping. My antidepressants made me throw up and feel sick for a while. I'm really glad I suck it out though cos they helped me a lot.
I made a decision to keep on them until the side effects are meant to ware of then if they were still making me feel I'll I'd stop them.
Original post by Kindred
even if it does mean you get a bit out of shape or have some side effects?

I lost 15lbs since I quit them. I was over 200lbs. So more than a "bit"

And:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxoeRk4Hdbk
I lost 15lbs since I quit them. I was over 200lbs. So more than a "bit"

And:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxoeRk4Hdbk

Sorry. More than a bit. But maybe if you stick these out for a while you can work on the weight whole you're on them.
It is your choice though so maybe it would be a good idea to tell your psych you don't want to take them and see if there is another option.
Unfortunately you may end up with the same side effects on anything else, but different meds affect people differently so it's worth trying if you don't want to be on these.

People are trying to help you and I think it's worth at least trying what they say, but it is up to you so if this really isn't something you can manage then work something else out. If you talk to the psych about not taking the meds then your partner can't force you to stay on them.

Sorry I can't look at that link right now so I can't comment on that.
Original post by Kindred
Sorry. More than a bit. But maybe if you stick these out for a while you can work on the weight whole you're on them.
It is your choice though so maybe it would be a good idea to tell your psych you don't want to take them and see if there is another option.
Unfortunately you may end up with the same side effects on anything else, but different meds affect people differently so it's worth trying if you don't want to be on these.

People are trying to help you and I think it's worth at least trying what they say, but it is up to you so if this really isn't something you can manage then work something else out. If you talk to the psych about not taking the meds then your partner can't force you to stay on them.

Sorry I can't look at that link right now so I can't comment on that.

That's problem my partner is forcing me. That's why this is in relationships not mental health. She will have me locked up if I don't take them and probably leave me. We fight over this every day, I'm at my wits end I don't want to fight with her I love her but I don't see why she is doing this.

Quick Reply

Latest