Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need to cut down on coffee spending. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am spending about £5 a day on coffee and I was wondering how I could cut down this cost while still maintaining a high caffeine intake. Would appreciate an explanation of which coffee has the highest caffeine content: cost ratio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPRK)
    Hello, I am spending about £5 a day on coffee and I was wondering how I could cut down this cost while still maintaining a high caffeine intake. Would appreciate an explanation of which coffee has the highest caffeine content: cost ratio.
    Can you not make coffee at home?

Buying a jar for £4 can last you a few weeks at least if you’re having coffee daily. It’s a lot cheaper than buying out from Costa/Starbucks or wherever, and still gets you some caffeine.

Which is slightly essentially as a student, I know that much.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Can you not make coffee at home?

Buying a jar for £4 can last you a few weeks at least if you’re having coffee daily. It’s a lot cheaper than buying out from Costa/Starbucks or wherever, and still gets you some caffeine.

Which is slightly essentially as a student, I know that much.
    Yeah, that sounds good. I'll get a thermos flask so i can carry some around with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPRK)
    Yeah, that sounds good. I'll get a thermos flask so i can carry some around with me.
    Good idea. Saves money, and ensures you’ve still got caffeine running through your veins. ☺️

ReputationRep:
    You can make it at home and take it to uni with you in a flask or travel mug. You can use instant coffee, or you can get one of those coffee machines (tassimo or dolce gusto) if you prefer the taste. Both options would work out cheaper than buying a Starbucks everyday 🙂
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by DPRK)
    I'll move this to the food and drink section for you

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like instant coffee then use a Tassimo machine. The coffee is quite bitter, but it's better than instant coffee and a fraction of the cost of Starbucks (pods are ~30p each). I agree with cheesecakelove.

ReputationRep:
    buy a jar of coffee and make it at home. no brainer really
    or visit lots of people and have a coffee at theres

ReputationRep:
    Nobody needs caffeine to study. At this point all you're doing is feeding an addiction.

I'd start looking not so much at cheaper ways to get your fix, but ways to get fitter and healthier overall. Proper amounts of exercise and rest, a good balanced diet, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Make your coffee at home. And if you’re getting coffee somewhere just skip Starbucks (it’s not nice coffee anyway imo) and buy it somewhere cheaper

ReputationRep:
    Quit the coffee and buy caffeine powder, careful though it's dangerous stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Literally pathetic. Unhealthy, unnecessary, and you seem overly addicted.

No offence.

I'm no health guru, I've drank more aspartame in my life than 50% of this planet put together, but you're doing feeding an addiction. You don't need caffeine to get through a ****ing lecture.

Start exercising and if you need something to stay awake then get something cold. Lemon water, tea or eventually even pepsi (as its cheaper than coffee) and two or three ice cubes and that's all you need. But you shouldn't need that in the first place unless you're like 45 and need to stay on life support to open your eyes in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    Smaller cafes usually do great coffee at a fraction of the price, have you considered buying a coffee machine?
    Perhaps you need to start sticking to filter coffee or just the basic Americano instead of cappuccinos and what not
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Why do you "need" coffee? I can happily go without it and only drink it because it's there.

ReputationRep:
    Remember when Wendy's used to sell 10 cent cups of coffee?

ReputationRep:
    go to Waitrose... get free coffee !!

{ one per day :emo: }

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bart12345)
    Literally pathetic. Unhealthy, unnecessary, and you seem overly addicted.

No offence.

I'm no health guru, I've drank more aspartame in my life than 50% of this planet put together, but you're doing feeding an addiction. You don't need caffeine to get through a ****ing lecture.

Start exercising and if you need something to stay awake then get something cold. Lemon water, tea or eventually even pepsi (as its cheaper than coffee) and two or three ice cubes and that's all you need. But you shouldn't need that in the first place unless you're like 45 and need to stay on life support to open your eyes in the morning.
    I never said I needed caffeine to get through a lecture. It just helps when I'm feeling tired, and I wanted a cheaper way. 2 cups of costa can easily reach about £5 a day and lord knows starbucks is worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Why do you "need" coffee? I can happily go without it and only drink it because it's there.
    I said I need to spend less on it. Poor wording on my part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPRK)
    I never said I needed caffeine to get through a lecture. It just helps when I'm feeling tired, and I wanted a cheaper way. 2 cups of costa can easily reach about £5 a day and lord knows starbucks is worse.
    You could alternatively do what 95% of people do when they feel tired and not drink coffee.

My takeaway coffee consumption is max 2 per week at McDonalds, and that's when I have a huge craving. In an average week I don't drink any takeaway coffee at all.

The reason you feel tired is because you drink coffee. This isn't groundbreaking science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bart12345)
    You could alternatively do what 95% of people do when they feel tired and not drink coffee.

My takeaway coffee consumption is max 2 per week at McDonalds, and that's when I have a huge craving. In an average week I don't drink any takeaway coffee at all.

The reason you feel tired is because you drink coffee. This isn't groundbreaking science.
    I guess I'll try 2 or 3 weeks caffeine free, see if it improves. Better now than later.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.