The Student Room Group

Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?

Poll

Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?

I'll earn much, much more, work more and still be poorer.

A growing economy, if society is not dysfunctional, should result in children being richer than their parents. I think this is the best measure of socio-economic progress. We were promised we would work less and earn more thanks to innovation, and this has worked for some decades, but now it doesn't seem so anymore...
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

we're richer than our mums but not my father in law but he is a landlord so not the best comparison.
Reply 2
I'm already richer than my parents
Reply 3
Original post by Nerry
I'm already richer than my parents

How old are you? Glad society is working for someone!
Reply 4
I think I'll be richer on average but I don't know if i'll make as much money as my parents were making in their peak 15 years ago
Reply 5
Almost certain that I will do better than they did money-wise. It's not a great concern of mine though, to be totally honest.
I'm already richer than my parents, but my mum was always (and still is) terrible with money and my dad was always a minimum wage type of guy. My mother's siblings are totally different and I seem to have inherited my auntie's intelligence and business savviness and my uncle's "you don't get rich by spending money, unless it's on appreciable assets" attitude.
Reply 7
I live in hope but i won't hold me breath.
Reply 8
Richer as I have a far better understanding of finance, and will be chartered (hopefully).
Not planning on getting married or having children in the future, so i will be saving a ton of money already by doing so. Therefore, yeah i am more likely to be richer than them haha
Poorer. My dad works in a well-paid "niche" computing role for a large multinational. My mum also works in computing, and I think she's quite well paid as well just not to the same extent.

I'm studying languages and I'm thinking of going into either translation or teaching - neither of which generally pay as well as my parents' jobs, but I'd rather have a job I enjoy than one that I hate but pays well.
Reply 11
In terms of total earnings in their lives? Then I would be richer.
I don't have much as a pensioner but definitely much better than off than my parents.
Richer, my parents didn't have much money.
I'll never be richer than my Dad. Man is minted! I still go to a state school but that's because my parents hate private educated school. I'm not spoiled but I've had a pretty fortunate upbringing where I've never had to worry about money.

Tbh if I'm half as rich as my dad i'll be very happy.
Probably richer. Definitely more so than my Mum and probably my Dad. Putting them both together makes them richer than me though (in this hypothetically ideal future). Though if I get a well-paid partner that can all change.:innocent:
Definitely poorer than my dad. My dad was a high-end trader for a large French bank. Now he trades on the stock market and has a startup. My mum doesn't work. I was never spoiled but had quite a nice childhood, never worrying about money.

I will be studying Engineering at university, and even though if I get lucky I may end up high, never as high as my dad.
Original post by Miss.Unknow
Not planning on getting married or having children in the future, so i will be saving a ton of money already by doing so. Therefore, yeah i am more likely to be richer than them haha

While jeopardising your wealth because trying to afford a house as a single-income is almost impossible unless you move to a 1920s terraced council estate in Salford or you emigrate.
I'll probably never be as "rich" as my parents as a combined entity. They own their own, mortgage free house and although I'm likely to inherit it, there's a good chance that it will also be split between myself and my half siblings. A combination of that, and the fact that I intend to go into research.
Reply 19
Original post by ecrassier
Definitely poorer than my dad. My dad was a high-end trader for a large French bank. Now he trades on the stock market and has a startup. My mum doesn't work. I was never spoiled but had quite a nice childhood, never worrying about money.

I will be studying Engineering at university, and even though if I get lucky I may end up high, never as high as my dad.

Even if you were to go into finance it would be highly unlikely to make the sort of money they made before 2008, especially in trading. Did he trade derivatives? Prop trading is basically dead. I have some friends whose parents were traders who started in the 80s, went through the 90s and were able to retire in the early 2000s, with a very decent "fortune".

Quick Reply

Latest