LPC - assessments Watch

lpc_1981
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all....

Looking for any advice please as driving myself mad.

I've just submitted my PLR assessment and I now regretting not declaring myself 'fit to sit'. I have had some very very serious health problems, both personally and within my very close family, as well as some terrible personal problems at home. I decided to submit after trying my best as I didn't wan the stress at a later date when doing other assessments.

I am at the University of Law and the Assessment Regulations state in order to be able to get a distinction or commendation overall you need to pass ALL grade weighted assessments at the first attempt and pass all other assessments. PLR is not a grade weighted module so I have interpreted that as long as I pass PLR in the amount of attempts permitted (three), then I haven't jeopardised my overall classification if I have messed up the PLR.

In terms of the assessment I done the best I could. I think my commentary is poor (I used mainly primary sources) and the wording seemed to be left open in terms of exactly what to cover and I fear I may have included some information that the 'supervisor' wasn't necessarily asking for. I do believe however that I have addressed what the 'supervisor' wanted....just maybe a little more on top.

Also, if I have happened to got a 'not yet competent' will this be shown on my transcript providing I do pass the course overall (regardless of the classification).

Sorry for such a long post and thank you in advance for any replies.
AelaNox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had some mitigating circumstances during my LPC which led to me resitting a few exams and my Drafting assessment. I didn't declare myself not fit to sit either and wondered whether I should have.

First of all - the transcript will show your mark as having being achieved at the second attempt (instead of 1a it will say 2a) I'm not sure if it affects your classification but since it isn't a weighted module it should be okay.

Also super important, speak to your personal tutor if you're worried about how this will look on apps in the future. Despite resitting and being 'fit to sit' she was aware to a degree of my personal circumstances at the time and when I spoke to her recently, she (as my reference) said she is happy to back up my mitigating circumstances for job applications. The way I see it, you won't be able to 'blame' the uni for failing your assessment (which is why they have that rule, I suspect) but nothing against tutors backing you up when you submit mitigating circumstances on apps. Speak to your tutor and just keep evidence ready to back up whatever you say.

I failed several exams during my LPC, resat and passed everything and I'm currently outlining mitigating circumstances on my applications. Hope this helps
flatlined
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol @ failing PLR, no matter your circumstances. FTAOD, to anyone who thinks I'm being mean, it's a basic research exercise taken over 2 days at home in your own time, it requests a couple of pages documenting your research and 2 pages of legal advice from it. It takes about a couple of hours. You have close to 36 hours to do it.
AelaNox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not gonna lie it is pretty straightfoward compared to other stuff you do on the LPC but that comment was absolutely uncalled for. Also you aren't contributing anything to this discussion at all. You have no idea what he/she has been through and you hardly answered what the question was asking for.
flatlined
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AelaNox)
Not gonna lie it is pretty straightfoward compared to other stuff you do on the LPC but that comment was absolutely uncalled for. Also you aren't contributing anything to this discussion at all. You have no idea what he/she has been through and you hardly answered what the question was asking for.
I have zero sympathy and zero patience with that kind of response. If you're not fit to sit, you are reminded by your tutors, in regular emails consistently to put in notice for deferral or mitigating circumstances, and PLR is something so basic that to fail it you would have had to had issues even typing on a computer.
AelaNox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by flatlined)
I have zero sympathy and zero patience with that kind of response. If you're not fit to sit, you are reminded by your tutors, in regular emails consistently to put in notice for deferral or mitigating circumstances, and PLR is something so basic that to fail it you would have had to had issues even typing on a computer.
Blanket statements like these don't really work. And clearly not all unis and not all tutors think along the same lines as you do. They recognise that such situations happen and help/advice is available. I got help from my tutor when I was in a similar situation. They aren't going to hang you out to dry.

I'm not sure you know what empathy means.
flatlined
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Blanket statements like these don't really work. And clearly not all unis and not all tutors think along the same lines as you do. They recognise that such situations happen and help/advice is available. I got help from my tutor when I was in a similar situation. They aren't going to hang you out to dry.

I'm not sure you know what empathy means.
You failed LPC assessments on the regular track. LOL.
AelaNox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hope you never have to go through a difficult situation and have it affect your work then.
lpc_1981
Rep:
?
Thank you for your reply!

Best of luck with your applications AelaNox!!!
lpc_1981
Rep:
?
lol @ failing PLR, no matter your circumstances. FTAOD, to anyone who thinks I'm being mean, it's a basic research exercise taken over 2 days at home in your own time, it requests a couple of pages documenting your research and 2 pages of legal advice from it. It takes about a couple of hours. You have close to 36 hours to do it.
I won’t go into my circumstances but I hope you never find yourself in them!!! But then with your sort of attitude I’m sure no matter what I said you would ‘lol’ and say you would cope just fine, and of course, not let it affect any of your studies/assessments.

I didn’t ask how easy you found the PLR or what you think of anyone who has been found ‘not yet competent’ (which I am still yet to find out) so your answers didn’t really contribute anything to this post. But thanks for taking the time to belittle anyone who has let personal issues affect their studies or caused them to fail assessments.
AelaNox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lpc_1981)
Thank you for your reply!

Best of luck with your applications AelaNox!!!
You too - good luck and hope goes well

Just ignore that guy, clearly he has nothing useful to contribute to this discussion.

You got this!
flatlined
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You too - good luck and hope goes well

Just ignore that guy, clearly he has nothing useful to contribute to this discussion.

You got this!
Very sorry I invaded your safe space guys.

Achieve your dreams!
Annoyn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
36 hours? Ours was 24
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (122)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (352)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.74%

Watched Threads