The Student Room Group

First year Engineering crazy workload

-----
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The difficulty/workload increases in the later years so if you're struggling now I'd expect to see a decline in your grades in the later years.
Reply 2
I don't now many people that find Engineering (of any year) a breeze. It's a tough course.
It only goes uphill from here. The coming years are worse, with the third year adding graduate job searching and the hassle that comes from that.

However first year is easy if your aim is just to pass. Those that say it's easy will have had that mentality, in which case anyone can get 40%. You raise the bar to 70% and you'll see those people drop away.
Original post by somemightsay888
It only goes uphill from here. The coming years are worse, with the third year adding graduate job searching and the hassle that comes from that.

However first year is easy if your aim is just to pass. Those that say it's easy will have had that mentality, in which case anyone can get 40%. You raise the bar to 70% and you'll see those people drop away.

I found first year easy and was aiming for 70 and got 75. Much of it was content I'd covered at A level. Depends on how capable you are, many of my peers didn't struggle at all till 3rd year design project. Now I'd have trouble believing someone that claimed that's easy.
Reply 5
What branch are you studying and where at? It depends, some universities have more/harder workload but in general Engineering is supposed to be hard.
But if it gets harder you'll either get lower grades or be even more stressed and you sound pretty stressed as it is.
If you're a very capable individual then you can coast in the first couple of years and get a first so you've got nothing to be stressed about. Start thinking about your career, doing extra curricular stuff and trying to get some relevant work experience
Reply 8
So at A-level the top grade (A*) requires 90% (sort of, but bare with me...). For a degree the top grade requires 70%. You don't need to complete every problem sheet, or be perfect in every bit of labwork.

Aim for a good 2:1 in year 1, and then build on that for year 2 onwards when you've got to grips with time management and your lecturer's expectations.

And do some other stuff... not just everything Engineering.

in other words, try to enjoy it. not force it.
Was maths a strong subject for you at A-level?
Then just chill
Erm..cuz...cuz...it's engineering, you kinda need A-level maths :colondollar:
Also, does that mean you're scottish :K:
How do you manage gym and univeristy (engineering too) at the same time, you must be smart :s-smilie:
You need to find the sweet spot between achieving top grades and being mentally healthy. You really don't want to burn out/wreck yourself in later years for the sake of slightly worse grades. Obviously you should still aim for the max you can achieve, but you have to give yourself some freedom. Although the work increases year on year I think you'll learn to manage/prioritise it better, just keep going!
Reply 14
Nice, but I’m not surprised that it’s hard.
You said earlier you're only 18/19, so at what age did you start to go heavy on gym and get 'musclely' (dunno what word to use lol :biggrin:)
First year as well.

I have a 5050 split between engineering and compsci, and engineering is taking up most of my time.

Can't wait until this semester ends. At least exams where I am (not sure about Aberdeen) are before Christmas!
Lol, I've never been to a gym, atmosphere seems nice though :biggrin:
Reply 18
That’s true. Completely new modules will be harder to get a hang of, and in general the work load in university will be a step up. You’ll need to improve your time management, it’ll become more important as you go on in university.
Aw, unlucky.

Yeah. It's pretty draining. Makes me want to go back to the somewhat easier life of A-Levels :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest