The Student Room Group

Applying for a Post Graduate Loan (course starting Sept 2018)

Hi :smile:

I'm currently in the middle of applying to start a Master's next year in Sept (if I'm successful and get onto the course (obviously).

I've read on the Uni's website and on the Student Finance website that they offer up to 10,000 in loans to cover fees. But my course (LSE in London) costs just over 20,000 - so would student finance only cover half and how then would I go about getting the other half? Because I couldn't pay for it myself.

Also when exactly is best to apply for student finance? Only when I'm definitely on the course and secured my place? Just trying to be as organised as possible - it's been a while since I applied for my undergraduate so I'm a bit rusty.

thanksssss guys x
Original post by charmaclennan01
Hi :smile:

I'm currently in the middle of applying to start a Master's next year in Sept (if I'm successful and get onto the course (obviously).

I've read on the Uni's website and on the Student Finance website that they offer up to 10,000 in loans to cover fees. But my course (LSE in London) costs just over 20,000 - so would student finance only cover half and how then would I go about getting the other half? Because I couldn't pay for it myself.

Also when exactly is best to apply for student finance? Only when I'm definitely on the course and secured my place? Just trying to be as organised as possible - it's been a while since I applied for my undergraduate so I'm a bit rusty.

thanksssss guys x

Hi charmaclennan01,

Applications for the 2018/19 Postgraduate Loan (PGL) will launch in Summer 2018. More information on the amount will be available nearer the time. This year the maximum available was £10,280. You would apply using your existing student finance account.

PGL was introduced as a contribution towards a student's costs if they wanted to study a Masters. If you intend to use it for fees but the university will charge more than is available, you may want to have a chat with the university about other funding sources.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending