The Student Room Group

Not enjoying A levels and want to do something else

I am in year 12 and really not enjoying sixth form. I started at my school sixth and then around 2 weeks in went to college to do a course related to health and social as I really wasn't liking sixth form. however I went back to my sixth form as I didn't think the college course/college was for me(however I should of stayed longer to see if things changed) as I got back I had obviously missed out on a ton off work and I'm still behind and quite frankly don't think im ever going to catch up. Ive spoken to my head of year about the stress and dropping a subject but it is like I haven't been listened too and haven't received any help. I don't think I can stick it through for the whole 2 years. I was thinking of doing online A level courses but it is quite pricey.
Just wondering what peoples opinions are.
(edited 6 years ago)
I mean there’s always apprenticeships. Or you could stick it out bc there are times when I though I’d have to drop everything and go live in the woods. Or you could try college.
Finish the A-Levels
Reply 3
Original post by duskodair
I mean there’s always apprenticeships. Or you could stick it out bc there are times when I though I’d have to drop everything and go live in the woods. Or you could try college.

Thanks for the reply, and i have been looking for apprenticeships but finding it difficult to find any, and yes i guess i can but it is finding something that i like and want to do in the future.
Reply 4
Original post by adamantacademic
Finish the A-Levels

i have never felt so stressed before, and really dont think i can but i dont want to make the wrong decision but i feel A levels is not for me and think the persona of A levels is the only way forward to succeed in life is silly.
Reply 5
Talking from personal experience I would genuinely advice you to do what you want to do! If what you’re currently doing isn’t making you happy and it’s not what you want -just stop and do what YOU want.

I was in a similar place when I was doing my A-levels, difference being I wasn’t brave enough to stand up and say ‘actually I don’t want to do this, this isn’t making me happy’.

I think we live in such a pressurised society where we feel we have to conform to the ‘norms’. I felt like if I leave Further Education I would be judged by teachers, by the school, by my family because we’re constantly told Education is the most important thing -ever! And whilst I believe this (i study Education as a degree) I think our mental health, our happiness and just what we WANT to do is equally as important.

As much as I love the degree course I’m on I do wish I had followed my heart back at 16. I wish I had done what had made ME happy and what I wanted to do.

Life is too short to restrict ourselves to NOT doing what we want to do.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Reply 6
Original post by devon876
Talking from personal experience I would genuinely advice you to do what you want to do! If what you’re currently doing isn’t making you happy and it’s not what you want -just stop and do what YOU want.

I was in a similar place when I was doing my A-levels, difference being I wasn’t brave enough to stand up and say ‘actually I don’t want to do this, this isn’t making me happy’.

I think we live in such a pressurised society where we feel we have to conform to the ‘norms’. I felt like if I leave Further Education I would be judged by teachers, by the school, by my family because we’re constantly told Education is the most important thing -ever! And whilst I believe this (i study Education as a degree) I think our mental health, our happiness and just what we WANT to do is equally as important.

As much as I love the degree course I’m on I do wish I had followed my heart back at 16. I wish I had done what had made ME happy and what I wanted to do.

Life is too short to restrict ourselves to NOT doing what we want to do.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply, i think i needed to hear this! so i appreciate it greatly. I agree with everything, ive spoken to my family about this and the message ive gotten is that i basically should stay as thats the best thing but i really am stressed and im not the one to usually stress which is how i know this really isnt for me, now it is just about finding what i want to do and not what i think people want me to do.
Reply 7
It’s understandable for parents/family to be concerned or worried about the choices we make. I think the best thing you can do is research your options- apprenticeship, a vocational course, go to open days, request a visit to colleges or 6th form and see what different courses they offer. Talk to an independent, non-biased advisor such as Connexions or even a government website that will tell you what else you can do instead of A-levels or a vocational course.

If you establish a plan, know what you want to do then I feel like your family/teachers will respect your decision more and may be more supportive because they’ll know that you have a plan and so on.
Reply 8
Try the National Careers Service (type it into Google) it’s meant to be useful

Also if you know what you want to do in the future, career wise or even any interests you are keen to pursue, would help you narrow down what you might want to do for Further Education.
Reply 9
Original post by devon876
Try the National Careers Service (type it into Google) it’s meant to be useful

Also if you know what you want to do in the future, career wise or even any interests you are keen to pursue, would help you narrow down what you might want to do for Further Education.

Thank you! You’ve been Very helpful. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest