The Student Room Group

Dropping a grad scheme for another?

Hi,

I recently secured two grad scheme offers, offer A starts early 2018 and offer B starts in Autumn 2018. Offer B is the one I really want - A was just a back up option. However, seeing as I have nothing to do until next Autumn (recent graduate), it makes sense to do A for the money and then drop out when B starts. However, A (big 4) involves studying for a professional qualification, and I've heard horror stories where people who drop out have to pay this back... Is it quite common for people to drop out for other schemes? What reasoning would I give to drop out of A?

I'm also worried about accepting both offers at the same time - can the security checking processes for both cross over - e.g. will they see I've accepted both and then potentially nullify my offer? (The jobs are in the same industry but different roles, think tech and FO)

Would be great for anyone who's been in a similar situation to provide insight, Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you accept A and B, and B finds out they'll have every right to terminate your contract and blacklist you from them.

If you want to do Offer B do that. Just travel for a few months or work part time for a bit.

But whatever you do don't accept both. It's super dodgy.
I agree with above. You’re very lucky to get 2
You need to choose ASAP
You can find plenty to do til autumn, even if it’s volunteering. Don’t take away the chance for another graduate to have the place. Plus why would you want to damage your professional reputation before you even start?
If both firms are in the same industry, avoid burning bridges like this and remember the world is a small place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending