Poll: I got rejected from Oxford, and I feel:
Absolutely great, what's all the fuss about (21)
6.18%
Indifferent: it's just another uni, right? (52)
15.29%
Mildly bitter (136)
40%
Undervalued and applying again to Oxbridge next year (54)
15.88%
Positively fuming: how dare they reject such a fine candidate as myself? (77)
22.65%
This discussion is closed.
Fisherman29
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago

Oxford isn't everything, etc. etc.

Okay then, thought it might be time for the Oxford Rejects Thread. The majority of applicants to the University of Oxford have the honour of being rejected so, without further ado:

Icebreakers:

Name:
Course/college:
Rejection stage:
Apply again?:
Where next:

Spoiler:
Show

Name: Tom Fisher
Course/college: PPE at Hertford
Rejection stage: Pre-interview
Apply again?: No chance
Where next: Manchester, History and Politics
Advertisement
Fisherman29
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So, I had put everything on Oxford. I felt like they had to accept me. I mean, I went to a private school, lived in the South East, etc.
I had applied to PPE and come across the TSA. Failed it. Rejected before interview.

Yes, my dreams are shattered, blah, blah. Is it the end of the world? It was at first, but now things are setting in, I'm asking myself is Manchester really that bad?

How does everyone else feel?
sninkovic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I applied for Law as an international student and failed miserably. It was before the interview. I probably will not apply for Oxford next year again but I am just so afraid I won't get any other offers because my self esteem went down the pan lol
Pkl7
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fisherman29)

Okay then, thought it might be time for the Oxford Rejects Thread. The majority of applicants to the University of Oxford have the honour of being rejected so, without further ado:

Icebreakers:

Name:
Course/college:
Rejection stage:
Apply again?:
Where next:

Spoiler:
Show

Everyone should say what predicted grades they got so they feel better when they realise how many amazing people got rejected
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rost8192)
Just got rejected for PPL pre-interview and already gone through 5 stages of grief:

1) Denial - omfg they’re rejecting me?? But that mock interview lady said my personal statement was good?? Why did she lie?? But half of people get interviews I can’t be in the bottom half!! This doesn’t make any sense!!
2) Anger - urgh I ****ing hate Oxford and everything it stands for. Maybe I’ll send THEM a rejection letter! See how they like that!!
3) Bargaining - (emailing college demanding feedback/explaining why my admissions tests were so ****/kissing her ass hoping she’ll just let me in anyway if I’m polite enough)
4) Depression - Why am I so stupid? Maybe I’ll just have to accept I’m gonna fail at life.
5) Acceptance - **** Oxford. Durham ftw.

It’s been quite an emotional rollercoaster. Btw I got 6 A*s, 5 As at GCSE and predicted 40 points for IB...

Some positives:

- won’t be surrounded by nerds
- don’t have to deal with the stress/competitiveness at Oxford
- don’t have to prepare for an interview/read books we said we had read on ps
- won’t be babied like Oxford students are
- don’t have to deal with the massive work load
- can always reapply next year!
So true
Advertisement
Arctic Kitten
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sninkovic)
I applied for Law as an international student and failed miserably. It was before the interview. I probably will not apply for Oxford next year again but I am just so afraid I won't get any other offers because my self esteem went down the pan lol
Considering half the applicants share the same fate as you, I don't think it is miserable But being as brilliant as you are, I think you will get the other offers

Take some time off and you will get over it. Being able to apply to Oxford is already an achievement, don't let one rejection hurt your self-esteem. Good luck with your other choice, I think you will be fine!
EmilySarah00
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh boy I've been awaiting this thread! :rofl:

This will be my new home as of Monday/Tuesday :woo:
Advertisement
zizania
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What does the rejection email look like? Also, has anyone received word back from Pembroke maths?
DystopiaisReal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does the university not co-ordinate rejections across all colleges and subjects then?? Can anyone estimate when everyone will have heard by?? (I know I've been rejected, but in some ways I'd just like the final proof.)
Advertisement
10cking
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Icebreakers:

Name:
Course/college:
Rejection stage:
Apply again?:
Where next:

Spoiler:
Show

Course/College: English Lang and Lit at Exeter College
Rejection stage: Pre-Interview
Apply again? No, I only applied because I had 5 choices and Oxford had relatively low entry requirements (in terms of grades), so thought I would give it a go
Where next: waiting on Durham and Edinburgh for English Literature. I would be over the moon to go to either of these! If not then I can’t wait to go to Birmingham or Surrey (I already have offers for these)
spontaneousivy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Course/college: Human Sciences at St.John's
Apply again?: Maybe?
Where next: I have a unconditional from Durham, a conditional from Exeter, and still waiting on UCL and Imperial. Also, I'm applying for US Ivy Leagues, McGill in Canada (where I'm from) and Monash/New South Wales for direct-entry Med in Australia. Sounds a little crazy but I want to go everywhere.

Nonetheless, I'm quite bummed, for lack of better word, about not getting an interview. I applied with the hopes of at least getting an interview, since I would be able to prove and explain my interest in the subject much better than on my PS. Everyone in my school applying for Oxford got declined pre-interview, and now I've shifted from the furious stage to the questionable stage because of it.
I applied with 7 AP exams, Ontario grades and 2 SAT scores, but I never found out my predicted scores - am I supposed to know? Anyways, I'm in Canada's top-tier private school and we focus on being allrounders - sports, arts, service and academics. However, in comparison to US students, we don't dedicate our classes to APs and SATS, and in comparison to UK students, we don't dedicate ourselves to just one subject. I guess that affected my chances ...
Advertisement
Evilstr99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I applied to Oxford, believing that my chances are very slim. The TSA wasn't bad since I thought I did alright in the Essay Segment.
Course/College: E&M at Worcester
Rejection Stage: Pre-Interview
Apply Again?: No. I've applied for 4 other Uni's but if the opportunity seems dire, I may go for a gap year.
Where Next?: Waiting on Bath for Economics, I've had 2 unis who sent back to me so maybe the two? Not all Investment Bankers graduate from top-tier Universities, plenty of fish in the sea.
Thoughts: Sent through the post, I had a feeling I was gonna get an invite but turns out I didn't. I was pretty annoyed as I personally think that over the few years. I've grown academically and I would've thought that I get the chance but it's just the thought of getting rejected without even going in for an interview that perturbs me but hey, 30% of all E&M applicants get an interview slot and 8% of that were successful so I wasn't overly optimistic either!
I have others in my school applying and if they get an invite, I will be absolutely fuming.
astutehirstute
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So, I had put everything on Oxford. I felt like they had to accept me. I mean, I went to a private school, lived in the South East, etc.
The mindset revealed here is fascinating. Parents who send their kids to private school seem to seriously think it will help their offspring get into Oxbridge.

It doesn’t, it harms their chances if it has any impact at all. Both Oxford and Cambridge “positively discriminate” in favour of comprehensive school applicants.

The evidence I have is anecdotal, but nevertheless compelling for all that.
Advertisement
PeteM01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by astutehirstute)
The mindset revealed here is fascinating. Parents who send their kids to private school seem to seriously think it will help their offspring get into Oxbridge.

It doesn’t, it harms their chances if it has any impact at all. Both Oxford and Cambridge “positively discriminate” in favour of comprehensive school applicants.

The evidence I have is anecdotal, but nevertheless compelling for all that.
Utter nonsense. Look at the admissions stats for the last few years: private school kids still predominate. There may be some adjustment made for those applying from low educational achievement postcodes but this is only sufficient to help get an interview, not an offer.
ILuvFood1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does it count if I didn't apply 🤔
astutehirstute
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PeteM01)
Utter nonsense. Look at the admissions stats for the last few years: private school kids still predominate. There may be some adjustment made for those applying from low educational achievement postcodes but this is only sufficient to help get an interview, not an offer.
The admission stats vis a vis private schools does not invalidate my contention. Correlation does not imply causation.

I said that my evidence was anecdotal, so I’ll give you an illustrative example. One of my relatives went for an interview at Jesus College Oxford. He got to know all the other candidates, it was all very amicable, they shared their experiences, ya de ya.

One of the other candidates had an almost unintelligible accent, was from a sink comprehensive, but was clearly bright. She stood out like a sore thumb amongst the other candidates from Eton and CLC etc etc.

Polished, confident, expensively educated unlike her. Her interview was a disaster, she lacked the vocabulary to answer, they asked her to critique a poem and she didn’t give robust replies, she froze into inarticulacy.

So they gave her a second, completely different interview. They completely wrote off the first, and let her try again, and she got a place. There is no way they would have done that for an Etonian. No way. One of the polished expensively educated candidates lost out because of that clear, positive discrimination.

I am not saying it is wrong or right but I could give countless other examples if you want me to bore on about it. Oxbridge Colleges are desperate to increase their State School intake. Desperate.
beady556
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As someone who has been through the whole process and seen people graduate from oxbridge/non-oxbridge, believe me, getting into oxbridge really isn't that big a deal when it comes to getting into a good career. In fact, I'd say its better not to get into oxbridge and then you can at least not be slaving away and super stressed for 3 years and have equal employment prospects.

I was devastated that I didn't get in, but having seen what people do after uni I know that it was stupid for me to care in the slightest.
Advertisement
beady556
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had applied to PPE and come across the TSA. Failed it. Rejected before interview.

Yes, my dreams are shattered, blah, blah. Is it the end of the world? It was at first, but now things are setting in, I'm asking myself is Manchester really that bad?

How does everyone else feel?
Seriously mate, no one gives a damn whether you went to private school or not.
PeteM01
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by astutehirstute)
The admission stats vis a vis private schools does not invalidate my contention. Correlation does not imply causation.

I said that my evidence was anecdotal, so I’ll give you an illustrative example. One of my relatives went for an interview for Languages at Jesus College Oxford. He got to know all the other candidates, it was all very amicable, they shared their experiences, ya de ya.

One of the other candidates was a girl from a very poor mining town in the Welsh valleys. She had an almost unintelligible working class Welsh accent, was from a sink comprehensive, but was clearly bright and a rough diamond. She stood out like a sore thumb amongst the other candidates from Eton and CLC etc etc.

Polished, confident, expensively educated unlike her. Her interview was a disaster, they spoke in French which was her subject but she lacked the vocabulary to answer, they asked her to critique a French poem and she didn’t give robust replies, she froze into inarticulacy.

So they gave her a second, completely different interview. They completely wrote off the first, and let her try again, and she got a place. There is no way they would have done that for an Etonian. No way. One of the polished expensively educated candidates lost out because of that clear, positive discrimination.

I am not saying it is wrong or right but I could give countless other examples if you want me to bore on about it. Oxbridge Colleges are desperate to increase their State School intake. Desperate.
Ah, the deployment of CDNIC and n=1 anecdotal evidence provided by a relative: who could argue with that?
TheRosaBelle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
tbh I'm pretty upset but it's not the end of the world. The thing is I LOVE Birmingham! The course and the place are both fantastic but I'm worried it just isn't as prestigious as some other places as an oxford alternative and I'm worried that people will think less of me if I go. I have a ******** fear of being mediocre- what do you guys think?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (847)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads