Turn on thread page Beta

Coincidence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It is true that not all Muslims are terrorists, but it is also true that almost all terrorists are Muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyHappyEnding)
    It is true that not all Muslims are terrorists, but it is also true that almost all terrorists are Muslim?
    Or Irish or Chechens....

Media attention focuses on Islamic terrorists. A decade ago someone might have said "It is true that not all Irish are terrorists, but it is also true that almost all terrorists are Irish."

Our perceptions are unduly influenced by the media/ Blair and Bush scaremongering.

ReputationRep:
    All known prohibited terrorist groups.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/terrori...ups/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Or Irish or Chechens....

Media attention focuses on Islamic terrorists. A decade ago someone might have said "It is true that not all Irish are terrorists, but it is also true that almost all terrorists are Irish."

Our perceptions are unduly influenced by the media/ Blair and Bush scaremongering.
    Perhaps I should say Catholic rather than Irish (I'm refering to the IRA)

ReputationRep:
    An another list

http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/terrorist-groups.cfm

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I should say Catholic rather than Irish (I'm refering to the IRA)
    8+ ceasefire with the IRA. and islamic terrorists killed more in 1 day than the combined off both republican/loyalists killings since '69 so i cannot class the IRA in the same category as Al Qaeda

ReputationRep:
    8+ ceasefire with the IRA. and islamic terrorists killed more in 1 day than the combined off both republican/loyalists killings since '69 so i cannot class the IRA in the same category as Al Qaeda
    Two poorly sourced statements. No wonder your initial post did not generate much interest. Try backing up your points and you may get a response.

ReputationRep:
    Or Irish or Chechens....

Chechens = Muslims.

Irish Republican terrorists are not uniquely Catholic. Also, their aims are secular and political.

For Muslim terrorists it's all about their religion - it's the justification and driving force for what they do.
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Originally Posted by MyHappyEnding

Two poorly sourced statements. No wonder your initial post did not generate much interest. Try backing up your points and you may get a response.
    Between 1969 and 1988 there were 2711 civilian deaths in Northern Ireland as a result of Republican and Loyalist terrorism.
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/violence/bodbol.htm

In a single day three years ago, Islamist extremists killed 3000 civilians. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septemb...rrorist_Attack

It is thus fair to say that you cannot class the IRA in the same category as Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, currently yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Unfortunately, currently yes.
    I would say it depends on your definition of Terrorist.

On the list of proscribed terrorist organisations, they are majority islamic terrorist groups (Irish groups are dealt with seperately), but not exclusively.

For a group to be on that list, there needs to be a threat to the UK, as opposed to a localised conflict. There is no real difference between say the conflict in Kashmir, and many of the conflicts in Africa, yet a Kashmiri group is listed, and I could find no sub-saharan african groups on the list.

The British media and politicians only highlight the issue when either the UK is threatened, or it serves a political purpose to do so. Example being ETA has no problems with the UK as far as I know, but it would be a diplomatic nightmare with the spanish, if they were not listed.

Through our close links to the US, and our joint operations in Iraq, the islamic terrorist groups have us in their sights. This is not to say the majority of terrorist groups are islamic, just the ones we hear about, as they are the ones threatening us at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    No. There are maoists in Nepal, to begin with, assorted religious or racial bunches in India, Tamil Tigers, various independence movementsin Burma... that's just covering part of Asia. There are also governments- in burma, Vietnam, Indonesia, much of africa, parts of south America- and religious/political movements in the same places which carry out terroristic policies on an enormous scale. The important thing about the various islamically-inspired terrorist movements is that they are the only ones which think and act globally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    Chechens = Muslims.

Irish Republican terrorists are not uniquely Catholic. Also, their aims are secular and political.

For Muslim terrorists it's all about their religion - it's the justification and driving force for what they do.

Between 1969 and 1988 there were 2711 civilian deaths in Northern Ireland as a result of Republican and Loyalist terrorism.
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/violence/bodbol.htm

In a single day three years ago, Islamist extremists killed 3000 civilians. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septemb...rrorist_Attack

It is thus fair to say that you cannot class the IRA in the same category as Muslims.
    See, if you can back up your posts its much better. However, as discussed before, and I know you disagree, I think a distinction could be made between these extremist and those Muslims who do not wosh to kill others/set up an Islamist state/preach hatred/Muslim supremacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    See, if you can back up your posts its much better.
    Why does it have to 'look' better i'm not one of these ppl who subscribe to having to back my points upon because if i say something its the truth, why would i lie. It simply shows a lack of knowledge of your part if you cannot accept my vast arguements

ReputationRep:
    Why does it have to 'look' better i'm not one of these ppl who subscribe to having to back my points upon because if i say something its the truth, why would i lie. It simply shows a lack of knowledge of your part if you cannot accept my vast arguements
    His point is that not everyone knows what you know. It is hard for most people to debate something when they don't know the facts.

ReputationRep:
    there is no such thing as the absoulte truth, most things in history and politics are subjective and depend on your own views. Hence your statement was mearly an opinion and this is why you need evidence to give credit to your opinion. On a secoundary point no one is likely to believe your opinion unless you show its based in reality by giving evidence.

Not all terrorists are muslim either as subsequent posters have shown. It depends on your definition of terrorist too. There is no uniform defination of one, however the one I tend to take is that they are groups that fight for unjust causes using unjust means. These two factors, motivation and implementation provide a good test.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it have to 'look' better
    No-one said it had to look better. Carldaman said it would be better if you could provide evidence that supports your points. I agree.
    i'm not one of these ppl who subscribe to having to back my points upon because if i say something its the truth, why would i lie.
    It is perfectly possible for someone to be mistaken when they think they are telling the truth.
    It simply shows a lack of knowledge of your part if you cannot accept my vast arguements
    You have not produced vast arguments. You have not produced any arguments. Other people have given convincing counterexamples and qualifications to your opinions and you have not replied to any of them except to complain we do not automatically believe you.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.