Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i'm wondering whether i should pick 4 subjects for AS next year.
    does anybody do/has anybody done 4 a-levels? if so, how hard was it, and how much extra workload did you have compared to those doing 3? also, what are the advantages of doing 4 a-levels?

thank you so much for any replies xxx

ReputationRep:
    My school made us take 4AS and even that was too much never mind A2. A lot of people in my year ended up dropping to 3AS or after they got their AS results, they wished they’d dropped to 3. Not sure on the real benefits of 4 if you’re not applying to Oxbridge tbh
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I took four subjects in my first year, two had AS exams, and while I was very stressed I managed to struggle through it. However, when I started second year I progressively found that four was way too difficult. Needless to say I had a couple of successive breakdowns + was an anxious mess, but I managed to get out of my fourth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lanababe78)
    does anybody do/has anybody done 4 a-levels? if so, how hard was it, and how much extra workload did you have compared to those doing 3? also, what are the advantages of doing 4 a-levels?

I did Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Psychology and EPQ in AS and it was a lot ngl but its possible to be done if you put the time and effort in. If you don't then you'll regret taking all those subjects on at once. There is a lot of extra workload as you'll be in school full time and not have any free periods. In A2 I dropped maths and it was the best decision even though I loved it! It took a lot of the pressure off. There isn't really any advantages unless you want to apply to top top unis like Oxford or so. I mean do it if you want but a lot of the A-levels are linear now so if you do 4 then your stuck with them till A2. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in my school does 4 AS and in the next year drop to 3 A2. I found it ok with quite a few free periods everyday so I had enough time to do stuff. I have now dropped chemistry to do 3 A2 because it’s irrelevant to my uni course.Since universities only look at your 3 A2 grades your AS really doesn’t matter especially some have no exams now. I have applied to cambridge and I would say if you’re sure what subjects you want to do and what career to go into then narrow down at the start to make life easier since even cambridge only looks at your 3 A level grades.

ReputationRep:
    I took 4 AS levels last year, and found the work load bearable, but that might have been because I did Maths and Further Maths which were very similar. It did take a lot of work, and probably would have been tougher if I did 4 totally different subjects. A2 has been a different story, I’ve been struggling slightly and have struggled with the work load.

I’d probably say if you think you’re capable, it’s worth a go and just dropping a subject if it’s too much.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I will tell you that if you are dedicated, you can do 4 easily. I do 5 and although it is hard, I thoroughly enjoy what I do so I guess it is just fun for me xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcschofield)
    My school made us take 4AS and even that was too much never mind A2. A lot of people in my year ended up dropping to 3AS or after they got their AS results, they wished they’d dropped to 3. Not sure on the real benefits of 4 if you’re not applying to Oxbridge tbh
    thank you so much for the reply x

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing 4 subjects in my first year (I'm a bit of an unusual case since I took Maths A-level at the end of Year 11 along with Further Maths AS, so I'm doing 3 subjects plus the second year of Further Maths). I don't find it too bad, but there aren't really many benefits since unis tend to only need 3. Further Maths is a common 4th subject though, and a lot of top unis like to see it for courses like physics or engineering. Really depends what you're planning on taking.

And remember that most colleges have a "grace period" at the start of the year, so if you take 4 and find it's too much, you can drop one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    I took four subjects in my first year, two had AS exams, and while I was very stressed I managed to struggle through it. However, when I started second year I progressively found that four was way too difficult. Needless to say I had a couple of successive breakdowns + was an anxious mess, but I managed to get out of my fourth
    aw i hope you did well! thank you so much for the reply x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    aw, i hope you did well! thank you so much for the reply x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j4mil417)
    I did Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Psychology and EPQ in AS and it was a lot ngl but its possible to be done if you put the time and effort in. If you don't then you'll regret taking all those subjects on at once. There is a lot of extra workload as you'll be in school full time and not have any free periods. In A2 I dropped maths and it was the best decision even though I loved it! It took a lot of the pressure off. There isn't really any advantages unless you want to apply to top top unis like Oxford or so. I mean do it if you want but a lot of the A-levels are linear now so if you do 4 then your stuck with them till A2. Hope that helps!
    it does help, indeed! thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    I will tell you that if you are dedicated, you can do 4 easily. I do 5 and although it is hard, I thoroughly enjoy what I do so I guess it is just fun for me xD
    5?! wow- good luck! thank you so much for the reply x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyingPooMan)
    Everyone in my school does 4 AS and in the next year drop to 3 A2. I found it ok with quite a few free periods everyday so I had enough time to do stuff. I have now dropped chemistry to do 3 A2 because it’s irrelevant to my uni course.Since universities only look at your 3 A2 grades your AS really doesn’t matter especially some have no exams now. I have applied to cambridge and I would say if you’re sure what subjects you want to do and what career to go into then narrow down at the start to make life easier since even cambridge only looks at your 3 A level grades.
    thank you so much- this really helps! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageJoe77)
    I took 4 AS levels last year, and found the work load bearable, but that might have been because I did Maths and Further Maths which were very similar. It did take a lot of work, and probably would have been tougher if I did 4 totally different subjects. A2 has been a different story, I’ve been struggling slightly and have struggled with the work load.

I’d probably say if you think you’re capable, it’s worth a go and just dropping a subject if it’s too much.
    thank you so much- this was really helpful! x

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 4 alevels and in my final year of college. I don't think it's that hard tbh and the only subject I'm struggling with is chemistry (but that's because I manage to convince myself to not revise it at all) But I think you just need to have good time management and be organised
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lanababe78)

If you do subjects you genuinely enjoy and are good at, then 4 should be bearable. Though I remember being jealous of those that did 3 subjects and seemed to have tons of frees to do work in
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If two of those are Maths and Further Maths, and you're strong at Mathematics, then not considerably harder than three.

In any other circumstance it's considerably more work, for marginal if any gain. It would not be recommended unless you are going to "drop" one subject in year 12 (taking the AS exams or not). This goes double for essay/language subjects, where there is absolutely no reason to take four, under any circumstance - and there is considerable benefit to only taking three rather than four, to ensure you can properly focus on the required three subjects and maximise your grades in those.

Getting 4 As isn't going to ameliorate a lack of A*s for very popular courses or for those which require an A* (or more) - the same logic applies to other grades, to a somewhat lesser extent.

ReputationRep:
    Four is doable and if you enjoy them, really not particularly 'challenging' but time consuming. I personally, do not see the benefit. I dropped my fourth and have seen no real benefit to four in the UCAS process. It does also depend on whether you are a scientist, artist or study the humanities (or if you wish to mix). Look up a couple of uni courses and make sure you have the required subjects. That is the only way to know.

I see no real benefit (outside of maths and further maths)

ReputationRep:
    Being intelligent means youre able to do harder subjects, however working hard means you will be able to do more.
    I did 4 subjects and failed my fourth so it was completely pointless, if you want to go to a top uni i dont think they accept AS's anyway
    If i was you id go for 3, work hard and get the grades you want for them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.