Why is gender dysphoria a disorder but homosexuality isn't?

Watch
VVDOOMVV
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Curious to why
del1rious
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I’m guessing because a lot of people with GD suffer some kind of distress about their condition?
VVDOOMVV
Rep:
?
(Original post by del1rious)
I’m guessing because a lot of people with GD suffer some kind of distress about their condition?
Very interesting thought to put. But that shouldn't really determine whether it's a disorder or not. I have a feeling it's to do with political correctness if anything
Anonymoususer16
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by del1rious)
Many homosexual people also suffer distress...
Secular_Priest
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Homosexuality is being attracted to people of the same gender. This doesn't usually cause distress unless you have to deal with BS from other people (I understand that some will have inner issue too though).

GD is (to put it loosely) feeling like being the wrong gender for you biological sex. This usually causes distress from the person themselves. The medical definition of disorder is "a physical or mental condition that is not normal or healthy."
In addition, we must consider Gender dysphoria as a biological mismatch, something that can be resolved. Homosexuality is simply a difference between different humans. (There may be an argument to the extent that sexuality is a case of society shifting people to sides of a spectrum but that is a different argument)
dandiprat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I believe it would be fair to refer to the definition of a disorder to answer this question.

As defined in the Oxford Dictionary:

"An illness that disrupts normal physical or mental functions."

If we were to look at it with a purely objective mindset, technically both could be defined as disorders:

Gender dysphoria interferes with the personal security and association with one's biological sex, thus resulting in the desire to adjust physical appearances via social and medical processes.

Meanwhile homosexuality mentally disrupts natural functioning in afflicted individuals, and wires them to engage intimately with members of the same sex, rather than the opposite sex. This would have been problematic in a primitive age; and since it causes healthy humans to "breed" in a way that does not produce children, it threatens the continuation of the species.

But, subjectively, I believe that is what demotes it from disorder territory: it is not a genuine problem in this day and age. Defining homosexuality as a disorder almost feels archaic because we are not lacking as a population. However, gender dysphoria continues to rely on certain social and medical interventions for the individual to overcome the affliction, and the problems it brings with it.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't see how you can compare the 2.
VVDOOMVV
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
I don't see how you can compare the 2.
They're both a deviation from basic human biology
del1rious
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Homosexuality is being attracted to people of the same gender. This doesn't usually cause distress unless you have to deal with BS from other people (I understand that some will have inner issue too though).

GD is (to put it loosely) feeling like being the wrong gender for you biological sex. This usually causes distress from the person themselves. The medical definition of disorder is "a physical or mental condition that is not normal or healthy."
Yes thank you, this is the point I was trying to make
Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by VVDOOMVV)
They're both a deviation from basic human biology
How is homosexuality a deviation from biology? There's plenty of examples throughout the natural world of animals engaging in homosexual acts, and there's no way you can claim it's because of what's being shown on TV
RohanYnaik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One is a manifestation of what everyone feels i.e. attraction, everyone feels attraction to people (male or female), so homosexuality is just environmental and biological things making people feel attraction to certain people.

Feeling one's own sex isn't something many feel, we see the expression of our biological sex through our bodies (speed, look and some personality attributes) but we don't actually feel our sex, like we don't feel our race. People with dyshorpia feel their sex and feel that there body should be changed, like how certain people feel there arm shouldn't be there.

Its not a natural extension of what people feel unlike sexuality. Its something completely new that only exists in a small set of people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (850)
42.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.55%

Watched Threads