Saudi Crown Prince makes insulting him an act of terrorism

Watch
Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/1...161615758.html

Human Rights Watch has denounced Saudi Arabia's new counterterrorism law, saying it could further enable authorities in the kingdom to silence critics.

The law, introduced earlier this month, includes penalties of up to 10 years in jail for insulting the king and crown prince, as well as the death penalty for other acts of "terrorism", according to Saudi Gazette and other local news media.

"Saudi authorities are already methodically silencing and locking away peaceful critics on spurious charges," Sarah Leah Whitson, HRW's Middle East director, said in a statement on Thursday.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is great to see our close ally continuing to clamp down on terrorism. They already ready have a good track record of executing degenerate terrorists like pro-democracy campaigners. I can only hope that our Conserative government continues to foster close ties with this like minded country.
kokaled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm really starting to like this crown prince
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Loads of countries in the world have laws like this already. In Thailand it's a criminal offence to criticise or insult the King.

On the other hand, in New York City, it's an offence to sit on a milk crate in public.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Weren't we just praising this Saudi prince for being uber-progressive a couple of weeks back?

They even let a woman go in public without a face veil. Well, a robot woman, but giant stride nonetheless.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a general rule of thumb im against the state having the power to murder private citizens, i.e. assassinate them, however for him i'm starting to change my mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (110)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (330)
15.02%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (236)
10.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (305)
13.88%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (101)
4.6%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (126)
5.74%
Loneliness (190)
8.65%
Financial worries (85)
3.87%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (93)
4.23%
Exposure to negative news/social media (103)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (118)
5.37%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (192)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (208)
9.47%

Watched Threads