The Student Room Group

I have found a fair bit if money in my corridor near to my student accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Since it's hundreds, i suppose they intend to make some sort of payment. And if so, they must've withdraw it one shot in an exact amount. So why don't you go around and ask about it so words start to spread about it which hopefully gets to the one who lost it. But only give it under the condition that the value actually matches and don't disclose the value. It's quite a big sum for a student, it's very likely that the person remembers the amount as it holds huge value for them
Original post by I.LoveSyria.Aleppo
I say wait until someone asks about it, but don't give it to the police. they'll just take it for themselves.

i have several times handed money to the police. after the designated time i claimed it back without any problem.
British police are the least corrupt in the world.
Reply 42
Original post by Heyok
I always been curious, how the police can find that person who lost their money?

A small amount of money on the floor is not worth their time. They will not bother to look into it. There is no point in taking it to the police and the person that lost it has done just that. Keep it.
yeah take it to the police if no one claims it in six weeks they'll ring you up to come to the station and get it if you want it.
Reply 44
Just keep the money and never say anything about it. Ask your flatmates if they lost it but don't tell them how much. If no one claims it it's yours and never say a word of this again.
Original post by jonathanemptage
yeah take it to the police if no one claims it in six weeks they'll ring you up to come to the station and get it if you want it.

not sure if they ring you up :s-smilie:

you can go round when the time is up and claim the money.
Reply 46
finders keepers looser weepers ..is how I act when I find abandoned money

one year through picking up money on the street I totaled around £60, mostly £5's and $10's, one £20........

never had any trouble with the police or anyone either.
Those are just scaremongering tactics people say to get you to hand it in.

and yes, if you go around asking everyone you are going to get false claims coming forward.
Original post by the bear
not sure if they ring you up :s-smilie:

you can go round when the time is up and claim the money.

They did when my Mum found £50 back in 1994.
Original post by jonathanemptage
They did when my Mum found £50 back in 1994.

perhaps your Mum made a good impression on the constabules...
Original post by ANM775
finders keepers looser weepers ..is how I act when I find abandoned money

one year through picking up money on the street I totaled around £60, mostly £5's and $10's, one £20........

never had any trouble with the police or anyone either.
Those are just scaremongering tactics people say to get you to hand it in.

and yes, if you go around asking everyone you are going to get false claims coming forward.

what goes around comes around....
Reply 50
ANM775,
That is because you found negligable amounts of money in comparison.
If the OP found, say £600, and kept it, he could be prosecuted under the 'Theft By Finding Laws'. Besides, the most conscious course of action is to do the right thing and take it to the student accomodation authorities or police.

Quick Reply

Latest