The best mathematicians and their important contributions???

Watch
aran_k7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
popular mathematician who have important contributions and why?
timif2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Andrew wiles solved fermats last theorem or something...
Quite a feat
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Evariste Galois made considerable leaps in early algebra, demonstrating that quintic equations (and above) have no general solution - which in turn lead to major work in modern algebra, and the birth of his namesake, Galois Theory. He also failed to get into the best university for mathematics (allegedly) due to being too "clever" for his examiners to keep up with his leaps of logic, and was killed at the age of 21 in a questionable duel after being released from prison after political activism gone too far. Quite a fascinating guy.

Otherwise, the "classic" set would probably be along the lines of Gauss (first and foremost), Euler, pretty much the entire French Academy of Sciences in the 19th Century (including, among others, Cauchy, Lagrange, Fourier, and Poisson), Riemann (a student of Gauss) all are major figures in modern and historical mathematics. Emmy Noether deserves a special mention, as not to isolate her and make her a standard bearer for women, but she was remarkable in reaching great heights as a female academic in her time - and her work continues to underpin much a great deal of theoretical physics, and she like Galois also made signifcant and far reaching findings in algebra.

Leibniz and Newton deserve some reference as well, given that between them they created the foundations of calculus, which led to the birth of analysis and all it's related fields and is fundamental to much of modern science. Additionally the Bernoulli's are varied and many, and there are a number of notable contributions by different members of the family to mathematics.

The most notable modern mathematicians I can think of are probably Paul Erdos, one of the (if not the) most prolifically published academics in the world, whose work spanned a much larger number of areas than common for modern mathematicians (also namesake of the Erdos, and hence Bacon-Erdos, numbers). Von Neumann was quite prolific as well, and Nash is a well known example from "A Beautiful Mind" (which completely glosses over his bisexuality, incidentally). Terence Tao is still alive, and was well known as a mathematical prodigy as a child and is still a very active and well known mathematician (he also supervises PhDs at UCLA last I recall, so there's that too ). A number of those who I would otherwise include may well be labelled "physicists" and this overlapping area of mathematical and theoretical physics has a great number of fairly famous and even if not, important academics, so I won't go go into that area.

It's certainly worth noting however a great number of major results were known to Middle-Eastern and South Asian scholars even in fairly distant history - usually well before European (or more generally, "Western") mathematicians recreated these results. Sadly, the latter often are the namesakes of these results, and the only one I can think of offhand is Brahmagupta. Additionally Egyptian and Babylonian mathematicians had some results considerably earlier than would possibly be expected, although this was usually in a rougher and more applied form.
aran_k7
Rep:
?
state a mathematician and his contributions also state IMPORTANCE?
ManLike007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Isaac Newton.

\sum F=m \cdot a

That equation is my best friend
Plücker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Emmy Noether. You can read about her yourself here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether
Pidge Gunderson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I second Emmy Noether ^.
You can't go wrong with Euler though.
aran_k7
Rep:
?
need help !!! why are each of the mathematicians, contributions so important? thanks in advance
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
aaaaand we have a hat-trick! Time to merge your 3 practically identical threads, please don't spam the forum with the same thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.2%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (57)
65.52%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
13.79%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
10.34%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.15%

Watched Threads