The Student Room Group

Formula

HI! I just have one simple question, what is the formula for "theoretical" maximum height of a projectile? Is it just the same as looking for max height? 4FD1A183-E3C9-4B8A-8648-2604CCD066E0.jpg.jpeg
Original post by MMarìc
HI! I just have one simple question, what is the formula for "theoretical" maximum height of a projectile? Is it just the same as looking for max height? 4FD1A183-E3C9-4B8A-8648-2604CCD066E0.jpg.jpeg

Yes. It means ignore all other forces other than gravitational acceleration when the projectile is launched. If the question gives an angle to the horizontal at launch for the projectile, resolve the vertical component first.

Otherwise maximum height is achieved when launched vertically at 90o to the horizontal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
Yes. It means ignore all other forces other than gravitational acceleration when the projectile is launched vertically at 90o to the horizontal.

Oh so there's nothing really special about the "theoretical" word? So would the formula be just " v2^2=v1^2+2adeltad?
Original post by MMarìc
Oh so there's nothing really special about the "theoretical" word? So would the formula be just " v2^2=v1^2+2adeltad?

Yeah. You may need to resolve the vertical component first, if the projectile is launched at an angle. Otherwise, max theoretical height is achieved when launched vertically at 90o to the horizontal.

(The previous parts of the question and context is needed for a definitive answer).
Reply 4
Original post by uberteknik
Yeah. You may need to resolve the vertical component first, if the projectile is launched at an angle. Otherwise, max theoretical height is achieved when launched vertically at 90o to the horizontal.

(The previous parts of the question and context is needed for a definitive answer).

I have the value for vertical components (it was from trigonometric right?) and the v2 would be zero?
Original post by MMarìc
I have the value for vertical components (it was from trigonometric right?) and the v2 would be zero?

Yes.

vvert=vθsinθv_{vert} = v_{\theta}sin\theta

Initial velocity (u) is the vertical component.
Final velocity (v) is 0.

SUVAT used:

v2=u2+2asv^2 = u^2 + 2as
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest