Jovanaj17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, Im currently in S4 and doing 8 national 5's.

Physics
Chemistry
Maths
English
Computing Science
Admin and IT
Graphics
Art

I want to be as prepared as possible for my upcoming prelims in January but Im not sure how to. I cant seem to organise my subjects. I find Computing Science very very hard and im not doing well in Chemistry. Any Advice.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're finding it difficult to manage your time, it might be worth trying to make a revision timetable? They don't work for everyone, but many people find them really helpful. Prioritise your weaker subjects by spending more time on them, but make sure you don't forget about ones you feel more confident in.

Doing lots of practice questions is really helpful. You might find you just don't yet have the knowledge to give them a decent go though, so if that's the case, revise using whatever works for you (e.g. mindmaps, flashcards, posters, making voice recordings, videos, notes, etc.).

Hopefully this is helpful
VividBandicoot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly just do tons of past papers - they highlight sections of weakness here you can go over the notes again and learn it properly or go ask your teacher for help with. Once you feel a bit more confident start timing yourself doing them and only allow for as much time as you get in the exam - take no breaks and treat it like a real prelim! It helps so much
Jovanaj17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much, you're advice is so correct
Jovanaj17
Rep:
?
Thnaks so much to all of yous, I am going to start studying and do past papers.
ktd0
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Practice questions are great, but my biggest piece of advice would be to limit yourself to the number of past papers you use for your prelims, as for some subjects you will remember the answers and not be able to use the ones you have done for your prelims, if that makes any sense! Especially seeing as there are relatively few...
if you have scholar by Heriot-Watt, I’d recommend having a look through it
Beckstudies
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I am also currently in S4 sitting 8 Nat 5 qualifications (whilst attending one of the worst schools in Scotland 😂).
  • My subjects are :
  • English (Predicted A band 1)
  • Maths (Predicted A band 1)
  • Chemistry (Predicted A band 1)
  • Biology (Predicted A band 1)
  • History (Predicted A band 1)
  • Religious Moral and Philosophical Studies(Predicted A band 1)
  • French (Predicted A band 2)
  • Art ( Predicted A band 1)

Like you, I find it hard to prioritise my subjects. I would recommend past papers and doing the end of chapter questions in Hodder and Gibson how to pass books. With chemistry, I would recommend focusing on all calculations (Like balancing equations and M=NxGFM)as they are pretty much guaranteed to come up.DO NOT waste your time by making posters or mind maps and hide your phone whilst studying!Good Luck,Beckstudies
ferm4t
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Beckstudies)
Hi, I am also currently in S4 sitting 8 Nat 5 qualifications (whilst attending one of the worst schools in Scotland 😂).
  • My subjects are :

Like you, I find it hard to prioritise my subjects. I would recommend past papers and doing the end of chapter questions in Hodder and Gibson how to pass books. With chemistry, I would recommend focusing on all calculations (Like balancing equations and M=NxGFM)as they are pretty much guaranteed to come up.DO NOT waste your time by making posters or mind maps and hide your phone whilst studying!Good Luck,Beckstudies
Bands dont mean shlt
Jovanaj17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beckstudies)
  • My subjects are :

Thanks a lot, thats really nice of you and good luck for your exams. What high school do u go to
PKnowledgeKing
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I am also sitting 8 National 5s.
English
Maths
Spanish
Physics
Chemistry
Computing
Geography
Business

My Prelims start at the end of January and have only just started to study seriously, i consider myself very good at maths/physics/computing/chemistry as I average around 80% in tests, should I put more effort into subjects that take more practice like maths or my weaker and least important subjects like Business and Spanish?

I aim for A's in English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Geography and B's in Business, Spanish.
Jovanaj17
Rep:
?
(Original post by PeadarKing)
Hey, I am also sitting 8 National 5s.
English
Maths
Spanish
Physics
Chemistry
Computing
Geography
Business

My Prelims start at the end of January and have only just started to study seriously, i consider myself very good at maths/physics/computing/chemistry as I average around 80% in tests, should I put more effort into subjects that take more practice like maths or my weaker and least important subjects like Business and Spanish?

I aim for A's in English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Geography and B's in Business, Spanish.

well, I personally have a prelim tomorrow and I have not studied thoroughly and I regret it so much. So please do start studying as soon as possible or else you will only have regrets
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (517)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads