The Student Room Group

Becoming a human rights lawyer

Hi this is my first post. I had completed my a levels from Bangladesh in 2015, due to some family issues I had to keep my education on hold. Currently I'm residing in London. I have a British passport but since I arrived in the UK on the 28th of September 2016 I have to wait until 2020 to be eligible for student finance l. As my family cannot afford to pay for my education I have to wait. I was planning to study engineering as I have 3 B's in physics, chemistry and mathematics. However since coming to the UK I have become heavily interested in learning more about law and society. This has resulted due to habit of reading the newspaper on my commute to work (not really in law just as a team member in a coffee shop and bar). I have noticed the inequalities and injustices in society. I want to make a difference by studying how modern societies perform and the flaws that need to be addressed on a global perspective. Preferably I would like to work at a human rights watch like amnesty international. However with literally no background in law and after years of studying science I am questioning whether I'm being naive. Therefore I would like some advice in this regard. I truly want to help people with the education that I obtain, as I believe there is no value to it otherwise. I would also appreciate it if anyone could suggest me any links to cheap short law courses which could boost my chances of getting into a good uni as I have plenty of time in hand. Of course part time courses as I'm working full time atm and cannot commit to it full time.
HiYou're not being naive at all, don't worry. I studied Science at A-Level and went onto study law at Uni and then qualify as a Solicitor (practising Litigation). I've just been accepted on an MA studying International Human Rights Law as a career change! My advice would be to get as much volunteer experience as possible. There are loads of opportunities at pro-bono legal clinics in London for example. I know you haven't studied law yet but wondering if you could volunteer to help with admin and gain experience that way. There's charity work too. I know it's unpaid and London is so expensive, but even if you did a few hours a week you're showing commitment to the profession and making connections. This will look really impressive on a uni application should you chose to go on and study law. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending