The Student Room Group

Did you make new friends in you secdond year?

By this I mean did you stop hanging with your first year pals and make new friends?

I ask this because me and my my first year friends just recently had a debate about where we want to live next year and everyone wants to stay in halls again next year for some bizzare reason.

I personally find halls really hectic and tiredsome socially (although a real laugh), I hate it when I can never sit in my room alone for 5 minutes without someone barging in if you know what I mean so ive kind of decided to deviate and try finding a house for next year. This will inevitably mean that I will slowly but surely drift away from the rest of my mates.
Reply 1
Are you sure you and your mates are even allowed to stay in halls?
second year is alot different, but, you do make new friends, in particular as a second year you get to know the people on your course better.
Reply 3
Inside
Are you sure you and your mates are even allowed to stay in halls?

Well that is what I just said...
Reply 4
I made loads of new friends in my second year (and in my third year, as a matter of fact) through housemates and societies mainly. There's no limit to making friends really.
Reply 5
wingerrr
Well that is what I just said...

I think that what he/she meant was that in most unis, only 2nd or 3rd years with (a) extenuating circumstances or (b) who want to be residential advisors, are allowed to remain on campus, cos if everyone stayed on campus, where would the freshers live?
Reply 6
I didn't get on great with all my first-year flatmates (they were decent enough people, but a bit immature and 'typical student'-ish for me.

I moved into halls again in my second year, but with complete strangers, and I get on with them MUCH better, so we're staying here for the next year too. I've drifted away from my flatmates last year, and all the other friends who spent time in our flat - but we do still have a quick catch-up if we see one-another on campus.

Other friends; coursemates, friends in other years, club/soc friends, and friends from other stuff I'm involved in, though, I'm obiously still as close to as I was in my first year.
Absoutely. I'd say i didn't properly find my social circle until the middle of second year. There were lots of friends that i barely saw after first year. Basically, so long as you're still willing to make the effort, you can keep making new friends until you leave.

Regardless of whether you're allowed or not, I really wouldn't reccommend staying in halls after 1st year. Sharing your first student house is a rite of passage!
Reply 8
I made friends with freshers on my course when I was in the 2nd year and with new people joining societies I was in :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending