The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Unconditional offer bribe or not ?

University of roehampton have giving me an unconditional offer for biomed on the basis that I make them my firm choice. Is this a scheme to get more students?

Scroll to see replies

Yes of course. Only accept it if you are totally happy to go there. It's a compliment too: it means they think you are good enough that you will do well there.
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by chazwomaq
Yes of course. Only accept it if you are totally happy to go there. It's a compliment too: it means they think you are good enough that you will do well there.

My predicted grades were BBCc so i just thought this a way of getting more students to come to that uni
Reply 3
Once they've made you an unconditional offer, are they able to retract it?
Reply 4
Original post by Tubbz

I hope not :biggrin:
Original post by Tubbz

Once you have an unconditional offer and you accept it, it forms a contract that they nor you can break.

To get out of it, both of you have to agree to be released.
Original post by suhayb123
University of roehampton have giving me an unconditional offer for biomed on the basis that I make them my firm choice. Is this a scheme to get more students?

Yes, many universities do that to get the students that they really want.
Reply 7
Original post by Wired_1800
Once you have an unconditional offer and you accept it, it forms a contract that they nor you can break.

To get out of it, both of you have to agree to be released.

That doesn't answer my question, but thanks for the info.

Let's try again... Once they have made you the offer, before you accept it, can they retract it.

If they were to make the unconditional but you put it down as insurance, rather than firm, would they be able to retract it.
Original post by Tubbz

Let's try again... Once they have made you the offer, before you accept it, can they retract it.

If they were to make the unconditional but you put it down as insurance, rather than firm, would they be able to retract it.

Your question was not clear, so I gave you the answer to your question.

In most cases, it is down to the University. The university can withdraw their offer, if something arises, e.g. the prospective student was involved in a crime, examination malpractice or broke a University regulation.

If everything is well, the University do not withdraw their offer.

An example, was where Harvard University withdrew their admission offers from about 7 students, who made racist and homophobic comments on social media.

Did i answer the question?
Reply 9
The offers are unconditional if firmed, so you can't put it as your insurance.

They can retract the offer if anything on your UCAS form was wrong.

Original post by Tubbz

Reply 10
Original post by Wired_1800
Your question was not clear, so I gave you the answer to your question.

In most cases, it is down to the University. The university can withdraw their offer, if something arises, e.g. the prospective student was involved in a crime, examination malpractice or broke a University regulation.

If everything is well, the University do not withdraw their offer.

An example, was where Harvard University withdrew their admission offers from about 7 students, who made racist and homophobic comments on social media.

Did i answer the question?

The original question was can they withdraw an unconditional offer. You've said yes. [thanks]

You also said in your first answer that an unconditional offer, once accepted is legally binding, now is it legally binding if the unconditional offer is put down as an insurance choice?
Original post by Tubbz
The original question was can they withdraw an unconditional offer. You've said yes. [thanks]

You also said in your first answer that an unconditional offer, once accepted is legally binding, now is it legally binding if the unconditional offer is put down as an insurance choice?

Now, i dont know about this one because it is on a case-by-case basis.

Some universities may not care, but others might stipulate extra actions to be able to honour the unconditional offer.

Just like in the OP's example, where they have to put the university as a firm choice to be able to secure the unconditional offer.

I think you would have to check with the University to know what their policy is going to be about putting them as Second.
Reply 12
Original post by Tubbz

The offer shows as conditional on Track, with the conditions stating it's unconditional if it's firmed. If the applicant then makes it their firm, it becomes unconditional. So if you make it your insurance, it stays conditional on getting the correct grades.
Reply 13
Original post by Juno
The offer shows as conditional on Track, with the conditions stating it's unconditional if it's firmed. If the applicant then makes it their firm, it becomes unconditional. So if you make it your insurance, it stays conditional on getting the correct grades.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Absolutely.

I highly doubt this particular university manages to fill up their biomed places every year. It's just a ploy in order to lure you in.

You are a big money sack to the university.
Reply 15
Original post by Tubbz
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Just to add to my previous post:

The email will either show on UCAS Track as "conditional" and have offer conditions written as similar to
"This offer is conditional on you achieving AAB, or will become unconditional if placed as your firm choice"

Or it would show on Track as "conditional" and just have the offer conditions part showing as the required grades. The unconditional if firmed part is then explained in a separate email sent.

If the offer actually shows up as "unconditonal" on Track, the uni can't add any extra conditions. Some students will get pure unconditional offers with no strings attached, but these are generally (a huge majority of the time) for students who have completed their qualifications so have already met the conditions.
Accepting an unconditional offer means:

1. The applicant usually gets worse A Level grades
2. They go to a worse uni

Yes they are a scam. Personally I think they shouldn't be allowed unless grades have been achieved.
Reply 17

I studied biomed at Roehampton, graduated with a first class honours.
Reply 18
how was it? and do u work right now?
Reply 19
how was it? and do u work right now?

I’m assuming this was directed to me? I’m doing my MSc in Cancer Biology now.
Feel free to private message me if you have any questions

Quick Reply

Latest