Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stop losing the will to live during lectures Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lecture experience goes something like this, lecture starts, less than 10 minutes I'm tuned out and don't fully come back again until I see the lecture's over. Was the same for a good part of undergrad. It's like my brain knows that the lecture has started so it’s time to turn off

When listening to the recorded lectures, probably about 10 to 15 minutes towards the end I’m just thinking please stop talking and would rather be doing anything else.

Maybe it’s that I don’t particularly care about the content or find it all that interesting. Or maybe it’s that the PowerPoints are just too long (averaging 40 slides), poorly timed for some modules (they run way over the recorded 50 minutes) and more often than not poorly delivered (you know, talking in a pretty unexpressive voice, lots of umming and pausing making it difficult to follow or just reading the slides. Or even saying that we don’t need to know any of what’s contained in the lecture, but giving the lecture anyway. Or even when a lecturer said if the university let them, they wouldn't give lectures (nice to know that tuition fee is being well spent)).

I did choose to do a short course at the same university before now and that was interesting (completely different subject), didn’t feel like work at all. I listened (and retained), made notes, was on top of the coursework from day 1 and like I said it didn’t feel like I was actually working and yet I did great. I even tried out new programs to get the job done, first to see how well they handled what I needed to do and to learn them a bit, and then I liked them enough to keep using it (talking about Numbers on Mac). Generally enjoyed it.

But my actual BSc and MSc can’t pay attention to save my life (still did pretty well at BSc though). Information is in one ear, deleted 5 minutes later or as soon as the exam or coursework's done
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mine turtle)
    Lack of attention in lectures is a common complaint.
    For recorded lectures, could you try speeding them up or splitting them into smaller chunks, perhaps breaking briefly at the midway point?

In actual lectures, trying to absorb new content, write it down and compete with tiredness can be a bit much. I've found it helpful to write the collate the ppt material into a pre-note format so that I arrive at the lecture already broadly familiar with the material and am thus able to just focus on the unique material the lecturer orates.

Do you enjoy other parts of the degree or is just lectures specifically you disike?

ReputationRep:
    Do the reading beforehand if you can. They when you hear it in the lecture it will be familiar and more interesting.

Make notes. This keeps your mind busy.

Most of your learning should not be taking place in the lecture, but from the work around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Lack of attention in lectures is a common complain.
    For recorded lectures, could you try speeding them up or splitting them into smaller chunks, perhaps breaking briefly at the midway point?

In actual lectures, trying to absorb new content, write it down and compete with tiredness can be a bit much. I've found it helpful to write the collate the ppt material into a pre-note format so that I arrive at the lecture already broadly familiar with the material and am thus able to just focus on the unique material the lecturer orates.

Do you enjoy other parts of the degree or is just lectures specifically you disike?
    Honestly, not really. Didn't think I was smart enough to do this beforehand. Felt BSc was where I just ran out of aptitude for this, cause by the end I could just grasp what was happening. Not for lack of trying in third and fourth year (2nd I kind of dropped the ball). I’m trying still with the coursework, but I don’t know what I don’t know and don’t know what I need to know/how much I need to know. If I try and learn everything like at undergrad, that leads to redundancy of notes and way too much being stored in memory. I did, when term started, show up ready to make notes or to just listen and take it in (trying a new method), but the university’s lecturing style hasn’t changed since I was last year which leads to what I said in my original post. I do still go through the content in my own time

Practicals are a bit hit and miss. Some are just overly long, I read what we’re doing beforehand and for the most part, the practical part goes fine and the theory (coursework) either blindsides me or I think I’ve done well, but nope. Achieving the same results I got in 2nd year, which as not a good year. I’m asking questions when I have problems, and I ask a lot of questions, but not getting it so far. In hindsight, I’m not a huge fan of even the practicals I did at A level, because I’d be one of the last to finish (still am), asking for help, scared of getting it wrong etc. but I’d smash the theory part, now it’s the other way round in terms of ability (having worked in a lab for a year may have something to do with that), but the practical bit gets you nothing

TLDR: Lectures and lecture topics don’t pique my interest, therefore enjoyment suffers. Practicals are on the long side, theory is over my head/or I think I’ve understood something, but haven’t. Can’t help but wonder why I’m doing any of the work I’m doing here

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it’s that I don’t particularly care about the content or find it all that interesting. Or maybe it’s that the PowerPoints are just too long (averaging 40 slides),
    I have lectures which go on for 3 hours with 200 odd slides! Consider yourself lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    I have lectures which go on for 3 hours with 200 odd slides! Consider yourself lucky
    200 slides!? 😱
    PowerPoints are something I know how to do. Always stylish and on-point, except that one time in (I think) 2nd year

ReputationRep:
    200 slides!? 😱
    PowerPoints are something I know how to do. Always stylish and on-point, except that one time in (I think) 2nd year
    Must be a 2nd year thing then, I'm currently a 2nd year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    2nd yr - me too!

2 x 3hr lecture some days and loads of reading/practicals/labs/maths to do.

I don't get the 300 slides, at least with that I can fall asleep now & read the slides later. I get the 3hr lecture on 20 slides, and the slides don't make sense when I wake up the next morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    I get the 3hr lecture on 20 slides, and the slides don't make sense when I wake up the next morning.
    I tend to be the opposite, I'll eventually lose concentration and my mind will wander by the 2nd hour but then when I look over the lecture notes the next day/evening, it all seems to fall into place. My sub-conscious must be listening

What course do you do? I do BSc Genetics

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same issue tbh :/ Sometimes I just leave half way through a 2-3hr lecture because I know I am just wasting my time sitting there doing nothing and not focusing.
    The only thing I have found useful is to have a little look over the content before hand. E.g. just the meaning of the words in a new topic. Also, some lecturers I just completely avoid because I know their lectures are just not worth my time.
    If you don't listen in class, just make sure you study at home well and read the lectures in your own time instead of relying on the lecture.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same position as most people on this thread I lost all motivation go to lectures because I can only concentrate till 45 mins after that my mind just wonder somewhere else. The best way for me personally is to study from home as that where have the best concentration and I actually get work done, only go to Uni if have exams, group work or something else important.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I learn more just by doing 1 problem sheet than I do from listening to 5 hours of lectures in a day. I'm in first year and started off enthusiastic as most people and was taking notes but I realised it was just pointless writing off a powerpoint because I wasn't understanding any of it and now I skip lectures and hardly pay attention to the ones I go to because listening to someone read off a powerpoint for an hour is boring.

ReputationRep:
    I only rarely use them. I only elarned how to use PowerPoint a couple of years ago, ha.

ReputationRep:
    Lecture experience goes something like this, lecture starts, less than 10 minutes I'm tuned out and don't fully come back again until I see the lecture's over. Was the same for a good part of undergrad. It's like my brain knows that the lecture has started so it’s time to turn off

When listening to the recorded lectures, probably about 10 to 15 minutes towards the end I’m just thinking please stop talking and would rather be doing anything else.

Maybe it’s that I don’t particularly care about the content or find it all that interesting. Or maybe it’s that the PowerPoints are just too long (averaging 40 slides), poorly timed for some modules (they run way over the recorded 50 minutes) and more often than not poorly delivered (you know, talking in a pretty unexpressive voice, lots of umming and pausing making it difficult to follow or just reading the slides. Or even saying that we don’t need to know any of what’s contained in the lecture, but giving the lecture anyway. Or even when a lecturer said if the university let them, they wouldn't give lectures (nice to know that tuition fee is being well spent)).

I did choose to do a short course at the same university before now and that was interesting (completely different subject), didn’t feel like work at all. I listened (and retained), made notes, was on top of the coursework from day 1 and like I said it didn’t feel like I was actually working and yet I did great. I even tried out new programs to get the job done, first to see how well they handled what I needed to do and to learn them a bit, and then I liked them enough to keep using it (talking about Numbers on Mac). Generally enjoyed it.

But my actual BSc and MSc can’t pay attention to save my life (still did pretty well at BSc though). Information is in one ear, deleted 5 minutes later or as soon as the exam or coursework's done
    I personally see it as either the content itself or the lecturer. I have one module where I am so disinterested with the content let alone who the lecturer is. In another module, my first lecturer was energetic and actually made sense, he explained well, he'd use the presentation as just a guidance like for the use of a diagram or showing the calculations after he explains them. Then my next lecturer after him just reads off the powerpoint and "pausing and humming" as well as heavy sighs as you said which makes it boring and that's considering I'm interested in the module.

Throughout my time at school I've always found that the teacher can actually make a subject interesting which sorta explains why I could dislike a certain module (but as I said there's one module I just plain hate because of the content that disinterests me).

OR maybe I was just enthusiastic when I first started since I'm a first year student

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to lectures for this very reason. It's all recorded and put online anyway, so what's the ****ing point.

My grades are what matter. Averaging a solid 2:1 going into 3rd year, so all is well.

ReputationRep:
    £9,000 is a lot of just powerpoint slides, I think universities should do more to engage their students. To be honest I zone out after 30 mins as its just really boring and sitting for 2 to 3hrs is really hard.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    By not going to lectures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    By not going to lectures
    They monitor attendance now with a reg card scanner/and by making us sign the register
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    They monitor attendance now with a reg card scanner/and by making us sign the register
    Then join your year's fb group chat and get someone who attends to send you the QR code, that's what we do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Then join your year's fb group chat and get someone who attends to send you the QR code, that's what we do
    It’s possible to tap in and leave (there’s one module where so many people do it) or get someone else to tap in for you. End up drawing, scrolling Facebook (which leads to) reading stuff online on my iPad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.