The Student Room Group

Have your say: What's the point of mock exams?

Here's where you can post a comment about our What's the point of mock exams? article.

Read the full What's the point of mock exams? article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
Reply 1
mocks are the reason i got into a grammar school. I'd rather have them and not suffer like my friends who didnt get into a grammar school like they wanted too, because they didn't get a good predicted grades, because they didnt TRY in their mocks.
Mocks help you get used to an exam setting. They also allow you to get the gist of typical questions the examiner will ask and you get good practice on how to answer them. Though mocks may be inconvenient, they are necessary to both tracking our progress and moving it forward.
I used to think mock exams were pointless and we were given bunches of them in sixth form, but there was a time that I did use them and felt they did contribute to my success in exams because I was familiar with the structure and some questions do get repeated or reworded in the exams!
I got a E on a mock exam a week before the real exam then got A*... depending on what stage of preparation your at will determine how useful ultimately the mock will be. I was an independent learner in school and didn't keep track with the class so mocks never correlated well with my exam results. It should however be noted that ego aside, they are actually useful in just getting some familiarity with question style and what the mark scheme desires.
Pre studying art and now no longer taking any exams, instead now only being practically or essay assessed, I would say throughout my A Levels and GCSEs I never once took any mock seriously. They were simply too early and weren't prepared very well. I spent my time focusing on revising what I'm struggling on, rather than quickly revising things I already knew just for a meaningless mock. All my mock grades were not a true reflection of what I actually achieved in the end. I would say stick to class tests, but mock exams are just pointless. I can see their advantages but they simply didn't work for me, they're definitely not essential or necessary though at all.
Reply 6
Original post by yellowcopter
Pre studying art and now no longer taking any exams, instead now only being practically or essay assessed, I would say throughout my A Levels and GCSEs I never once took any mock seriously. They were simply too early and weren't prepared very well. I spent my time focusing on revising what I'm struggling on, rather than quickly revising things I already knew just for a meaningless mock. All my mock grades were not a true reflection of what I actually achieved in the end. I would say stick to class tests, but mock exams are just pointless. I can see their advantages but they simply didn't work for me, they're definitely not essential or necessary though at all.

We truely got loaded with so much class work and our teacher really were extremely unsympathetic, piling us with homework. At the end of the day I know my true potential isn't going to be reflected in my mocks but I'm just going to take things extremely positive and smash the real thing. I agree, stick to your own method of revision and keep going because it's the end destination that really matters. If u get all As and A* at GCSE, are people really going to question your mock grades- I don't think so.
Original post by ePret
mocks are the reason i got into a grammar school. I'd rather have them and not suffer like my friends who didnt get into a grammar school like they wanted too, because they didn't get a good predicted grades, because they didnt TRY in their mocks.

If your friends tried for the real thing they could still have got into a grammar on results day. My sister didn't get in initially because she wasn't prepared enough for the mocks...she changed her approach to her learning and got amazing results in the end and got into a grammar, so mocks really aren't the end of the world.

Original post by Fox Corner
Here's where you can post a comment about our What's the point of mock exams? article.

Read the full What's the point of mock exams? article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
I personally think that mocks really help me because they force me to revise and make lots of revision notes.

The actual results and exams do not bother me too much ;the number of stories I have heard about people getting "a U in their mocks then getting an A* in their real exams" makes me realise they aren't an amazing reflection of ability!

But I have mocks right now and I have done so many flashcards and so much revision I feel that it puts me in a much more secure position when it comes to he REAL exams.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY ELSE WITH MOCKS :headfire:
Original post by UchihaMadara
I got a E on a mock exam a week before the real exam then got A*... depending on what stage of preparation your at will determine how useful ultimately the mock will be. I was an independent learner in school and didn't keep track with the class so mocks never correlated well with my exam results. It should however be noted that ego aside, they are actually useful in just getting some familiarity with question style and what the mark scheme desires.

How? Did you download google to your brain
Original post by MisledGoddess
Mocks help you get used to an exam setting. They also allow you to get the gist of typical questions the examiner will ask and you get good practice on how to answer them. Though mocks may be inconvenient, they are necessary to both tracking our progress and moving it forward.

There you go. There's nothing else to say lets end the thread here otherwise its just a bunch of people repeating the same thing. Just a note though, its always best do a practical of something and not just base it on theory or how its going to be.
You don't demonstrate to a soldier how to shoot a gun and control recoil, but deny them any experience with a gun until the battlefield. If you, expect bad results (yeah ik bad metaphor, lets roll with it)
Same with mocks. Some people might get stressed out, bad time management, panic attacks and just forget everything in the moment. Although a pisstake, the more mocks, the better.
Original post by FloralLuxe
How? Did you download google to your brain

I think it's because I can retain a lot of information but only for a short period of time, learning something a week before won't benefit me at all as I will forget intricate details in a few days time. Way I see it if you understand a concept, no matter the question style you should be able to answer it. I won't elaborate more, and I wish I could download google into my brain lol

Quick Reply

Latest