Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected from uni so of course I wasn't attending the course. Now I've been sent a letter saying my student loans have been stopped. I'm confused because since I've been rejected my place, why on earth did they begin the loans in the first place.

Now I'm very panicked cuz I'm afraid I owe payments, the letter finishes off with " previous payments may have to be repaid, if this is the case we will notify you"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Did you notify SLC that you wouldn't not be attending uni? If not they wouldn't have known that you weren't attending and may have paid your university or you in error. I assume you'd know if they paid you and your university shouldn't have been paid until you were registered onto your course.

Log into the repayment site and see if it says you owe anything. If so, get in contact with SLC and the university to find out what's going on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diffcolours)
    I was rejected from uni so of course I wasn't attending the course. Now I've been sent a letter saying my student loans have been stopped. I'm confused because since I've been rejected my place, why on earth did they begin the loans in the first place.

Now I'm very panicked cuz I'm afraid I owe payments, the letter finishes off with " previous payments may have to be repaid, if this is the case we will notify you"
    If you received money, you'll have to repay them. If you don't know, just wait to see if they notify you.

In any case, you don't have to repay student loans until you start earning more than a certain amount.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Don't panic.

When you applied for the course, the course fee loans were also automatically started, as this part is not means tested but the finance needs to be allocated even if it is not ultimately required.

If you have since decided not to go to university, then the course fees provisioned for you, cannot be transferred anywhere.

The letter is a standard confirmation of that action. i.e. your loan application process has now terminated.

IMPORTANT: if you received monies into your bank account for maintenance (living and accommodation expenses) prior to you rejecting the course, then you must repay these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Did you notify SLC that you wouldn't not be attending uni? If not they wouldn't have known that you weren't attending and may have paid your university or you in error. I assume you'd know if they paid you and your university shouldn't have been paid until you were registered onto your course.

Log into the repayment site and see if it says you owe anything. If so, get in contact with SLC and the university to find out what's going on
    I had no idea that I would have to notify the student loan company (that sent me the letter) about being rejected, thus not being able to attend. I assumed the uni and slc were more cooperative; that the loans would have automatically not begun or stopped after I was rejected a place. All these I thoughts... well you live and you learn ey.

I've contacted the uni and couldn't get through, will try again, then I'll ring up slc.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean 'rejected by the university' as in, you failed to make your offer (but you had already started your application for student finance)? Or, that you started your course, but have been told to leave for some reason?

In the first case, no payment should have been made, as you would not have enrolled and so the university would not have confirmed your enrolment with Student Loans.

In the second, some money would already have been paid to the university, and to you if you had claimed maintenance, as the university would have confirmed that you had enrolled.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I had no idea that I would have to notify the student loan company (that sent me the letter) about being rejected, thus not being able to attend. I assumed the uni and slc were more cooperative; that the loans would have automatically not begun or stopped after I was rejected a place. All these I thoughts... well you live and you learn ey.

I've contacted the uni and couldn't get through, will try again, then I'll ring up slc.
    SLC are a company, completely unrelated to universities. As far as SLC are concerned, if you have applied for a loan and have applied for uni then they'll pay you as soon as you are registered onto your course. But the university is unlikely to contact SLC if you decide not to go or get rejected.

In short, the loan is entirely your responsibility. I'd go straight to SLC rather than trying to contact the university. SLC will be able to tell you if you owe any money and if there are problems with the information they have, they'll be able to fix it faster than contacting the uni.

Of course, there's no reason to assume the loans even started since the university is responsible for confirming you are on your course. If SLC didn't get confirmation then they shouldn't have paid anything. The letter was most likely just a general letter since you won't be getting a loan. Check with SLC to be sure though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

I logged in to the repayment site and my balance reads 0, the only figure that's there is the interest rate. This means I'm pretty much clear right; that I don't owe them anything? Dumb question I know, just to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    SLC are a company, completely unrelated to universities.
    Oh I thought since they provided loans to students (uni students only?) they can't be completely unrelated to them?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I logged in to the repayment site and my balance reads 0, the only figure that's there is the interest rate. This means I'm pretty much clear right; that I don't owe them anything? Dumb question I know, just to be sure.
    Most likely you don't owe anything. It's possible that it hasn't been updated but most likely is that you were never paid in the first place.

Oh I thought since they provided loans to students (uni students only?) they can't be completely unrelated to them?
    That's true, they're not completely unrelated. But to give a different example, if you own a car you pay tax and insurance. If you decided to sell or change the car, you still need to inform the relevant people. My insurance is for a car but unless I tell them that I've changed cars they won't know. Similarly, if you don't update SLC on your situation they won't know either.

This is generally some good life advice. Don't expect another group of people to know something. Don't assume SLC will know about your situation just because your uni knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Most likely you don't owe anything. It's possible that it hasn't been updated but most likely is that you were never paid in the first place.

That's true, they're not completely unrelated. But to give a different example, if you own a car you pay tax and insurance. If you decided to sell or change the car, you still need to inform the relevant people. My insurance is for a car but unless I tell them that I've changed cars they won't know. Similarly, if you don't update SLC on your situation they won't know either.

This is generally some good life advice. Don't expect another group of people to know something. Don't assume SLC will know about your situation just because your uni knows.
    Thanks for the advice/ help, much appreciated!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.