The Student Room Group

CIE International A Level maths: Mechanic 2 or Statistics 1?????

Hi guys...... Which one am i supposed to take???? Or it's just my choice????? Or like universities prefer which one?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it matters,
Statistics 1 is easier in my opinion 😊
Reply 2
Original post by Medicine2018
I don't think it matters,
Statistics 1 is easier in my opinion 😊

ok, i will take that as an advice
Original post by Y.O.L.O
Hi guys...... Which one am i supposed to take???? Or it's just my choice????? Or like universities prefer which one?

Whichever one you feel you'd rather do. If you liked M1 and did well at it, do M2.

Uni-wise, there may be a slight preference depending on the course you're applying to (for example, for engineering, mechanics modules may be favoured). However, it doesn't really matter that much since many colleges don't give students a choice.
Reply 4
Original post by TheMindGarage
Whichever one you feel you'd rather do. If you liked M1 and did well at it, do M2.

Uni-wise, there may be a slight preference depending on the course you're applying to (for example, for engineering, mechanics modules may be favoured). However, it doesn't really matter that much since many colleges don't give students a choice.

A choice on what?
They’re both hell. I did find M1 easier tho bc it was just SUVAT and friends
Original post by Y.O.L.O
A choice on what?

A choice on what modules to take. For example, at my college, all Maths students (at least for the older modular spec) do S1+S2, and all Maths+Further Maths students did S1, S2, M1, M2, D1, D2.
Reply 7
Original post by duskodair
They’re both hell. I did find M1 easier tho bc it was just SUVAT and friends

SUVAT??????
Reply 8
D1, D2????
A choice on what modules to take. For example, at my college, all Maths students (at least for the older modular spec) do S1+S2, and all Maths+Further Maths students did S1, S2, M1, M2, D1, D2.
Original post by Y.O.L.O
SUVAT??????

Constant acceleration equations
Original post by Y.O.L.O
D1, D2????

Decision. Maybe your exam board doesn't offer it (we do OCR/MEI).

Aqa does too
Reply 12
Constant acceleration equations

I have no idea whats that.....ahahaha
Original post by Y.O.L.O
I have no idea whats that.....ahahaha

So a M1 question might go “a car starts at rest before constantly accelerating for 12s to a velocity of 24m/s, find the acceleration of the car”
So you’d model the car as a particle.
Then use the equation v= u + at
V (end velocity) = 24
U (start velocity) = 0
A (acceleration) = ?
T (time) = 12
So 24=0 + a*12
Then you can work out that acceleration =2m/s^2
That’s a basic suvat question
Reply 14

oh i see....i m doing cie
Reply 15
So a M1 question might go “a car starts at rest before constantly accelerating for 12s to a velocity of 24m/s, find the acceleration of the car”
So you’d model the car as a particle.
Then use the equation v= u + at
V (end velocity) = 24
U (start velocity) = 0
A (acceleration) = ?
T (time) = 12
So 24=0 + a*12
Then you can work out that acceleration =2m/s^2
That’s a basic suvat question

ohhhhhhhhhhh OoO
Hang on. I’ve just noticed that you’re suggesting doing m2 instead of m1.
I would not do m2 without m1 bc m2 is like m1 on crack, much harder and more confusing.
Reply 17
Hang on. I’ve just noticed that you’re suggesting doing m2 instead of m1.
I would not do m2 without m1 bc m2 is like m1 on crack, much harder and more confusing.

actually i wanted to take m1 and m2, but someone pop up to me saying malaysia doesnt have m2, thats why i am asking. he said: " no matter which course you take during universities, statistics is compulsary."

i am really confused.....T-T
Original post by Y.O.L.O
actually i wanted to take m1 and m2, but someone pop up to me saying malaysia doesnt have m2, thats why i am asking. he said: " no matter which course you take during universities, statistics is compulsary."

i am really confused.....T-T

I don’t know much about the Malaysian syllabus, but if its the same as England’s stats isn’t compulsory.
Reply 19
I don’t know much about the Malaysian syllabus, but if its the same as England’s stats isn’t compulsory.

Ohh isee

Quick Reply