United Nations Environmental Program Watch

Erradhadh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ukebert)
So what punishment could a country expect if they contravened these laws?
The ICJ does not issue "punishments". As all nations that shall be represented are sovereign, the ICJ acts as a mediating body between two states. However, no mediation, thus no control can occur on international policy if this aforementioned international policy does not exist.

For instance, Canada could submit their grievances of the United States of America do to pollution emissions exceeding that of required levels by treaty or UN mandate. The ICJ will look will serve as the judicial to review the case and act as an unbiased judge. The court proceedings will, if the USA is ruled guilty, determine the fine, actions the USA must do in order to ameliorate its breach of international law.

Of course, there is no way to put a country 'in jail'. Further, it is not under the power of the ICJ to evict a country from the Security Council or the like. This is a matter of political dealings that have little to do with actual breach of legislation.
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Erradhadh)
The ICJ does not issue "punishments". As all nations that shall be represented are sovereign, the ICJ acts as a mediating body between two states. However, no mediation, thus no control can occur on international policy if this aforementioned international policy does not exist.

For instance, Canada could submit their grievances of the United States of America do to pollution emissions exceeding that of required levels by treaty or UN mandate. The ICJ will look will serve as the judicial to review the case and act as an unbiased judge. The court proceedings will, if the USA is ruled guilty, determine the fine, actions the USA must do in order to ameliorate its breach of international law.

Of course, there is no way to put a country 'in jail'. Further, it is not under the power of the ICJ to evict a country from the Security Council or the like. This is a matter of political dealings that have little to do with actual breach of legislation.
Liechtenstein thanks theICJ for this clarification, and would support it's role as described above.
wackysparkle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mad_Drummer_Girl)
I think regulations such as protecting more marine life around our shores etc would be a good start. Little around the world is and we keep losing species of marine like, i'e the ganges river dolphin had become 'extinct' *they cant find any more* due to productions and chenges along the river in China.

*Marine life is an issue close to my heart so i will talk about it alot, please get use to it and dont complain to me if i talk about it alot n it anoys you, just deal with it, appologies in advanced*

Things about pollution, a system like i have displayed in another post about if a quota is not reached, then there would be a syste where you would have to put either money into an 'environment pot' where money would go to doing things needed to help the environment, or that country could do kind of a 'community service' deal, where trees would be planted in another or its own country, or suchlike.
The UNEP is reminded that sufficient evidence and research is needed to ensure that their post is informative to the General Assembly.

For example,

Concerning biodiversity and the effect of polluted waters on marine life, the following was implemented by 108 governments:
The Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-Based Activities
http://www.gpa.unep.org/

and,

and the ammount of pollution over china is unbalievable, so much to the point where they think the marathon may not be able to be run because of the ammount of smog. You may ask why am i givein this example, and the point of the matter is that china is a rising superpower that has large social and economical advancements. If El Salvador wishes to continue advancements, then it is suggested that they do it in such a way as to help the environment to, and to minimise pollution output whilst undergoing them.
UNEP GEF Project on Reversing Environmental Degradation Trends in the South China Sea and Gulf of Thailand

'The Indo-west Pacific has long been recognised as the global centre of shallow water marine biological diversity and the South China Sea, which is located at the center of this marine biogeographic realm, therefore represents an area of globally significant marine biodiversity.

Numerous actions are taking place at the national and regional levels to address the environmental problems that have resulted from the rapid pace of development and industrialisation, which has occurred over the last decade.

This significant GEF project (32 million US$), implemented by UNEP, represents the first attempt to develop regionally co-ordinated programmes of action designed to reverse environmental degradation particularly in the area of coastal habitat degradation and loss, halt land-based pollution and address the issue of fisheries over-exploitation.'

Further information is available from www.unepscs.org

The UNAAP/WHO
wackysparkle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The WHO thought it would be an idea to inform the UN that recent reports concerning Global Warming have come into light.

Apparently, the polar ice caps have partially recovered from last year (as in, they are not increasingly disappearing like last year) due to public awareness.
However, the polar ice caps are still melting, which indicates that there will be warm summers across.

The WHO
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wackysparkle)
Apparently, the polar ice caps have partially recovered from last year (as in, they are not increasingly disappearing like last year) due to public awareness.
Could you explain that one? Surely increased public awareness over the course of a year won't have such an immediate effect on the rate of melting? :confused:
wackysparkle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:laugh:

public awareness as in people are more considerate towards the melting ice caps now and are taking precautionary measures
So the rate in which they are melting is lower.
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wackysparkle)
:laugh:

public awareness as in people are more considerate towards the melting ice caps now and are taking precautionary measures
So the rate in which they are melting is lower.
Ah right, I see. :yy: The rate at which they are melting is improving.
wackysparkle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes
Mad_Drummer_Girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well this seems like a step forward, if more people did things to save the environment ie recycle use a more efficiant source of power, then possible we could slow the rate or the polar ice caps melting even more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
27%
No (695)
73%

Watched Threads