How much Chemistry is involved in Biology-related degrees? Watch

CastCuraga
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm on FY Biomed currently, and we have 6 modules of Chemistry. I'm on my 3rd module (Inorganic and Redox) and rapidly losing my enjoyment of this, and moreover afraid it'll continue like this.

We've done an introductory module and Physical Chemistry (which seemed largely irrelevant). Organic Chem is fine.

We share our Foundation with people going on to do Chemistry, but this feels like overkill. In a Biology-related degree like Biology, Biomed or basically anything that isn't Biochem...how much Chemistry is involved?

I'm sorta asking because I'm wondering if this is the right course for me. I don't like how much Chemistry we do now, and afraid of having to do this sort of level for 4 more years.
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CastCuraga)
So I'm on FY Biomed currently, and we have 6 modules of Chemistry. I'm on my 3rd module (Inorganic and Redox) and rapidly losing my enjoyment of this, and moreover afraid it'll continue like this.

We've done an introductory module and Physical Chemistry (which seemed largely irrelevant). Organic Chem is fine.

We share our Foundation with people going on to do Chemistry, but this feels like overkill. In a Biology-related degree like Biology, Biomed or basically anything that isn't Biochem...how much Chemistry is involved?

I'm sorta asking because I'm wondering if this is the right course for me. I don't like how much Chemistry we do now, and afraid of having to do this sort of level for 4 more years.
What university do you go to ?
It depends on your university how much chemistry content you do .
My university does not do that much chemistry at all,we mostly use the knowledge of A-level chemistry ,the only "chemistry" lecture we have done is on acid-base calculations.We do a bit of biochemistry but not that much and it is not that chemistry heavy.
I notice some unis do include physical chemistry in their courses which does not make that much sense to me.
6 modules of pure chemistry seems excessive to me for a biomedical course,it is not like you are doing medicinal chemistry or a pure biochemistry course.
CastCuraga
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by bobby147)
What university do you go to ?
It depends on your university how much chemistry content you do .
My university does not do that much chemistry at all,we mostly use the knowledge of A-level chemistry ,the only "chemistry" lecture we have done is on acid-base calculations.We do a bit of biochemistry but not that much and it is not that chemistry heavy.
I notice some unis do include physical chemistry in their courses which does not make that much sense to me.
6 modules of pure chemistry seems excessive to me for a biomedical course,it is not like you are doing medicinal chemistry or a pure biochemistry course.
Cardiff, but I don't really like it so I've been looking into Biomed or Genetics degrees at other universities; I wasn't aware it differed from institution. We share our FY with the Chemistry students for some reason, but they only do 4 Bio modules so idk.

It's a relief that it's not a main focus at every university though, Organic is about all I'd be willing to do. I know Biology has chemistry involved, but it just isn't really as in-depth. If I might ask what university do you study at?
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CastCuraga)
Cardiff, but I don't really like it so I've been looking into Biomed or Genetics degrees at other universities; I wasn't aware it differed from institution. We share our FY with the Chemistry students for some reason, but they only do 4 Bio modules so idk.

It's a relief that it's not a main focus at every university though, Organic is about all I'd be willing to do. I know Biology has chemistry involved, but it just isn't really as in-depth. If I might ask what university do you study at?
I study at St George's .
Seems like a poor setup to me,you shouldn't be doing that much chemistry for a biomeds degree.

Biology can have a lot of chemistry involved,but people who love that usually do Medicinal chemistry or biochemistry or something along those lines.

At my school,we only touch upon biochemistry in the usual places like metabolism and we don't need to do any organic chemistry,biomeds shouldn't need any chem knowledge beyond A-level for their degree.

I have not needed to use any organic chemistry so far in the course .You really only need organic chemistry if you are going to talk about reaction mechanisms.
I am surprised a biomed degree could have such a excessive amount of chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (73)
7.82%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.79%