The Student Room Group

My lecture said English language should be spoken worldwide

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AperfectBalance
Not even going to bother questioning your logic

cheers mate have good one.
Original post by Quixote.
As a translation student, I can tell you that's a hell of a long way off. Google translate, for example, can barely translate simple sentences accurately, let alone naturally. It struggles with words that can have multiple meanings given the context, and it'll always be near impossible to translate colloquialisms and idioms without human input. It's word for word translation, and there are so many limitations to it.

So much of a country's culture is ingrained in it's language. It'd be devastating to lose all that, for no reason other than to make things a little more convenient. There's nothing really wrong with what your lecturer said I guess, personal opinion and all that, certainly not racist, but he sounds like a bit of a fool if there was any seriousness in the statement in the slightest.

I totally agree, I would hate to lose the very things that make a language likeable and interesting only to gain consistency and practicality.
Original post by Maths and cheesecake
He said this in front of all the students, as a lecture he stands in a position of power and influence and I immediately agreed with him at the time.

However now I think it might have been a racist imperialist idea, what do you guys think?

I really don't think it's an inherently racist imperialist idea. I'm not saying that a racist/imperialist person couldn't think that. Nor am I saying that your lecturer isn't a racist and/or imperialistic - I have no way of knowing that.

I agree with your lecturer to a certain extent; the English language should be spoken worldwide, at least as a second language. Out of the 1.5 billion people who speak it, approximately 1.1 billion of them are non-native speakers which I think goes to show just how useful English is.

The idea of a universal language makes a lot of sense. Shlomo Weber, an economist which studies languages says the following in an interview with Freakonomics.
(SOURCE: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/best-universal-language/)

WEBER: I would go with a global language on some higher level ...
WEBER: but still keeping the local language for everybody, because sensibilities of the people [are] a very important thing.

He goes on to say the following about choosing that universal language

To choose one, it’s a very difficult thing. Of course, the colonial legacy of English is questionable. But it’s true for so many others the history of Russian language, of Japanese, of French, of German, Turkish empire had also its ups and downs. But given our circumstances English. A reluctant vote for English.

Other reasons to have English as the universal language can found in this post. http://www.omniglot.com/language/articles/engunilang.php
Jesus ! You did not just bring up America in this thread lmao.

America is a product of imperialism, racism, slavery, discrimination all of this state sanctioned.

Of course the descendent of peasants and indentured servants from England who committed genocide on the red indians wouldn't mind speaking english, what sort of question is that my friend.

I am actually trying to avoid making the English language the subject of this thread, and instead focusing on the premise of the joke; that is picking one language dominating the world by force: But you insist making it about English, perhaps we should ask the non-English people in America this question, that is descendants of slaves, Chinese indentured servants, red indians etc

My friends family tree is from Mauritius and is glad he speaks English and not Creole. I’m pretty sure black Americans will feel the same. But as I repeat, is 100% is not racist as you are avoiding the question.

You have no right to force your will upon someone else. So forcing a single language world is wrong. But it would have its benefits. Much the same its wrong to blow people up and treat them differently due to race but you have to let them do what they want. But we can educate and hope for a single language world as much as we can educate and want a terrorist free world.
Original post by Lmacwilliam
My friends family tree is from Mauritius and is glad he speaks English and not Creole. I’m pretty sure black Americans will feel the same. But as I repeat, is 100% is not racist as you are avoiding the question.

You have no right to force your will upon someone else. So forcing a single language world is wrong. But it would have its benefits. Much the same its wrong to blow people up and treat them differently due to race but you have to let them do what they want. But we can educate and hope for a single language world as much as we can educate and want a terrorist free world.

My friend is a nazi, he wants to make german the lingua franca, and make everyone servants to the Aryans.

anecdotal support argument for you sir, it was a pleasure to have this discussion with you have a nice day.
The implication is that it would not happen by peaceful means, that is the butt of the joke, that it would happen by force, and I totally understand the joke hence why I was not offended.
Since he was saying English I understand the practicality, this is where I agreed.
A intelligent person can look at a joke, laugh, understand the motive, agree or disagree. Since I have gone through it all, it left me with a bad impression, not because Britain has a very dirty history of colonial imperialism, but because in general language is a touchy subject and it is really part of peoples identity.

The only racism here is assuming that English speaking countries are symbolic of a white supremacist. You don't know the person behind the scene is white. It is ridiculous to jump to these conclusions.

For the record, I agree that the joke was perhaps symbolic of a wider colonial sentiment. You have made your argument in the wrong way and are quite frankly, being rude and patronising. Please make your points without calling people who challenge you white supremacists.
why on earth would it be racist? it is an international language after all, already used as a substitute language between many countries

Quick Reply

Latest