The Student Room Group

Deferral year question

Hi I have been accepted for a PhD but have decided to defer entry due to lack of funds, and because I failed to get funding from the university and the AHRC, they university said my proposal was strong but because I was in competition with students with a masters degree they got priority, so my question is this, can I take a one year masters research degree in the deferral year, or is this impossible because technically I am on the PhD.
Original post by kittyroo
Hi I have been accepted for a PhD but have decided to defer entry due to lack of funds, and because I failed to get funding from the university and the AHRC, they university said my proposal was strong but because I was in competition with students with a masters degree they got priority, so my question is this, can I take a one year masters research degree in the deferral year, or is this impossible because technically I am on the PhD.

Its only a provisional acceptance though and you arent enrolled, so I think youd be able to do a masters. You arent a student there yet.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Its only a provisional acceptance though and you arent enrolled, so I think youd be able to do a masters. You arent a student there yet.

thanks for replying. I guess I will ask my uni and see what their policy is.
Original post by kittyroo
thanks for replying. I guess I will ask my uni and see what their policy is.

As you arent a student then they have no control over what you do in your deferral year. They might give you some guidance on what they regard as relevant, but its your choice on what to do.
Reply 4
thanks for the information. I was wondering if you could help me with another question, I am thinking of applying for one of the Arts Councils AHRC funding
for PhD students and it asks for a predicted grade for my current studies, if I haven't finished the course yet how can I predict the final qualification I will get, I am hoping to get a first, but I cant guarantee that I will. Do I have to ask my supervisor what they think I will get?
thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending