A Level option choices.. Watch

Maisie1616
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. I'm currently in year 11 and I will be deciding our options soon. So far, I am hoping to take: History, Maths and economics and I am not sure whether to do psychology or sociology. I've heard psychology is harder and that sociology is seen as more of a 'soft' subject, so I don't know which to do and what Unis prefer... Thanks for any responses
ashestostardust
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do whichever one you think you'll enjoy the most.
randomsheep11
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sociology would go much better with History and Economics. Even if it is considered a "soft subject", there's no harm in giving yourself a bit of a gentler lesson since you'll be doing 4 A levels (of course, Sociology certainly isn't easy). In addition, Psychology is also seen as a somewhat soft pick aswell (as people say stuff like "it's not a true science". It's up to you if you agree with that). Sociology and History, believe it or not, do play a small part in Economics too. So if you decide to do Economics at Uni, your choices would seem very desirable. Sociology compliments History and Economics very well.

I don't feel that Psychology would be as good of a choice. First of all, when I was choosing my options, teachers of all subjects informed me that Psychology is the most content heavy subject, as I had interest in it (I didn't take it). Surely there must be some merit to what they say. Also, the skills you acquire from Psychology aren't that helpful in regards to your other lessons. Maybe in History, there's a chance that when do you source analysis or whatever you may be able to be more emotionally considerate/understanding of what people are saying, and possibly find it easier to decipher what their purpose of producing such sources are??? But it's not like Psychology is the only subject that develops this skill, and I don't think it's a big enough reason to pick Psychology; English language and literature, health and social care, law and *sociology* are all subjects that also develop similar skills in regards to that aspect.

I hope I don't seem biased (even though I have no reason to be), but I'm just saying it in an objective manner. My brother (who's in the same year as me) does History and Sociology and enjoys them very much, and he feels like there's many overlapping skills. Furthermore, a friend of mine does Psychology and Sociology. She has more of an interest in Psychology, but she has stated many times that the amount of content can be overwhelming when compared to Sociology.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Choose whichever one you like and will enjoy the most!

I do A Level Psychology along with Biology and Chemistry (and Religious Studies which I dropped after AS) and I can tell you psychology is hard. Don't get me wrong it is very enjoyable and interesting too! But the hardest part about it is the amount of content you have to learn, it is the most content heavy subject I have ever done (even more so then RS which was also quite content heavy), to give you an idea, at AS on Edexcel we had to cover:

>10 Key studies in tons of depth (e.g. Aim, procedure, results, conclusion and evaluation)
>15 Key theories (key aspects, key terms, application and evaluation)
>4 Key Questions (Application of all theories where appropriate, balanced arguments, supporting and conflicting evidence)
>4 Key Practicals (Aim, procedure, result analysis, conclusion and evaluation)
>A crap ton of research methods (definition, strengths and weaknesses of all)
>Any extra topics (e.g. Phobias and Drug Addiction)
>Any extra supporting studies in some detail (there are quite a lot of theses but it's mainly remembering the gist of their study and their name)

So yeah that's our 1st year content on Edexcel so it is a lot to remember! I'd recommend taking this into account when deciding as it does take up a lot of your time.

Hope I've helped and anymore questions, just ask!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (118)
17.72%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (70)
10.51%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (117)
17.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (99)
14.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (64)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (198)
29.73%

Watched Threads