Predicted grade lower than university entry requirement, does this matter?

Watch
didntmeme
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My predicted grade went down to MMM, but the universities I'm applying for have an entry requirement of DMM or ~104 UCAS points. How greatly would this affect my chance of receiving offers? Should I look at different universities? I should also mention that I have an E in AS, which is 6 UCAS points but I don't think that'll make a difference.

Thanks
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends on the course, and the Uni.

Some Unis will accept applications with predictions one grade below (but dont rely on this as many don't) - the more popular/competitive they are the less likely it is. And of course any eventual offer you get will be DMM so you have to think about whether its worth applying if you doubt if you'd get those grades (ie. it would be a totally over-risky Firm so why apply).

Advice about How to Avoid 5 Rejections here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
Qasim Abbassi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My friend was predicted ABB, but the grade requirments were AAA, and she still got offers from all her Russel Group Unis x
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Qasim Abbassi)
My friend was predicted ABB, but the grade requirments were AAA, and she still got offers from all her Russel Group Unis x
Contextual offers?
dontgivea
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by didntmeme)
My predicted grade went down to MMM, but the universities I'm applying for have an entry requirement of DMM or ~104 UCAS points. How greatly would this affect my chance of receiving offers? Should I look at different universities? I should also mention that I have an E in AS, which is 6 UCAS points but I don't think that'll make a difference.

Thanks
MMM is usually considered as CCC at A Level (don't quote me on that but a Merit is generally a C grade) but DMM is BCC (ACC) which may not seem a lot, but it can be a huge drop in terms of applying to universities as you'll find yourself wanting to apply to universities which accept both grades. What subject is it? I think personally you should be predicted DMM or DDM if possible which will open doors for you.
Qasim Abbassi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Contextual offers?
nope
Moltenmo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Qasim Abbassi)
nope
What's a contextual offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's unusual unless it was an unpopular subject. And, you would still have to actually get the grades.
didntmeme
Rep:
?
(Original post by dontgivea)
MMM is usually considered as CCC at A Level (don't quote me on that but a Merit is generally a C grade) but DMM is BCC (ACC) which may not seem a lot, but it can be a huge drop in terms of applying to universities as you'll find yourself wanting to apply to universities which accept both grades. What subject is it? I think personally you should be predicted DMM or DDM if possible which will open doors for you.
Forensic Computing at Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Greenwich, and Middlesex.
Qasim Abbassi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Moltenmo)
What's a contextual offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Basically it's when a uni lowers their entry requirements for you based on some information you have supplied them with, but my friend wasnt given a contextual offer.
Qasim Abbassi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
That's unusual unless it was an unpopular subject. And, you would still have to actually get the grades.
Biomedical Sciences
Middlesex University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by didntmeme)
Forensic Computing at Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Greenwich, and Middlesex.

Hello didntmeme,

That is great that you are considering studying at Middlesex!
Do you have any questions about studying here?

I am a Masters student and I can help you with anything you might need to know

Have a great day
Ludovica
Reyaz-
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
my predicted grades in yr 12 were all merits, and at the end of year 12 from the exam i came out with 1 merit and 1 pass and U in my last subject which was disappointing. however this year, my predicted grades are all distinctions and the university i want to go to wants 104 UCAS points. but i think the most ill get is D,M,C in my subjects. will i still be able to get an offer or contextual offer? and my second question was whether my grades from last year count as UCAS points for my university?

the universities i am thinking of applying for is Hertfordshire University, Nottingham Trent University, Kings College London and I am still thinking about the other 2.
didntmeme
Rep:
?
Well for all those wondering, despite an MMM predicted grade I still managed to receive a conditional offer from Nottingham Trent, which requires DMM. The rest still haven't replied but I'm happy nonetheless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.82%
No (77)
21.1%
Not sure (66)
18.08%

Watched Threads