The Student Room Group

Trouble with A-Level options?

Hello! I am currently choosing my options for next year. My school advises a maximum of 4 A-Levels. I have 5 subjects that I really desperately want to take: Maths, Computer Science, Physics, English Lit and History. I want to do a combination of Computer Science and an essay subject (like Philosophy) at uni, which is why Maths and Comp-Sci are pretty much definite. I am very, very, very passionate about the last 3 subjects, which means making a choice is nearly impossible. I love Physics, it would fit well with my other options, and it is a very well respected A-Level, but I've heard so many horror stories about the work-load and its difficulty.
If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Have you discussed your problem with any teachers or parents? Even talking to a careers advisor will help as they’ll ultimately draw up a plan in what they may think is best? I don’t know bout some sixth forms/colleges but my sixth form allowed me to change subjects around 3 weeks in.
Original post by Commie
Hello! I am currently choosing my options for next year. My school advises a maximum of 4 A-Levels. I have 5 subjects that I really desperately want to take: Maths, Computer Science, Physics, English Lit and History. I want to do a combination of Computer Science and an essay subject (like Philosophy) at uni, which is why Maths and Comp-Sci are pretty much definite. I am very, very, very passionate about the last 3 subjects, which means making a choice is nearly impossible. I love Physics, it would fit well with my other options, and it is a very well respected A-Level, but I've heard so many horror stories about the work-load and its difficulty.

Talk to your school and ask them about how they plan the course. Doing 5 is not an easy task (talking from personal experience as I do 5 subjects currently). The workload is insane and you have to work long hours. Physics is particularly difficult if you don't have a passion for it and even if you do have a passion, you need to be dedicated and have to work consistently hard. Also, choose the courses which will benefit you in your UCAS application. I don't think being PASSIONATE is a valid reason because you will lose the passion once you start doing them. Pick the 3-4 which are going to help you so if you are looking to Computer Science and Philosophy then I don't see why you want to take either English Lit and History because I don't see how those 2 link? You would be better off doing the 3 A-levels and getting A*A*A* then getting A*AAAA. Feel free to discuss if you want to :wink:
Original post by Commie

Based on what you want to do at uni, I'd get rid of either History or English Lit.

Quick Reply

Latest