Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been rejected from Cambridge for engineering but I am seriously considering reapplying if I exceed the minimum grade requirements for Cambridge (so basically get A*A*A* at least in my A levels). I would be doing a year in industry in my gap year.

However I have applied for other places like Imperial College (have an interview soon) and if I get an offer from them and decline it I am worried that they will remember that I declined their offer and have that bias towards me if I reapply to them a second time. I also already have offers from Manchester, UCL and I am waiting on Durham.

I totally understand the risks of reapplying but if I get rejected second time I would want to go Imperial but does anyone know whether these unis would have that kind of bias?

Also I already have maths A level A* and currently am doing 4 A levels (FM, Physics, Electronics, Music). If I only got say A*A*AA (A* in FM, say) would I still stand a chance of reapplying (since I technically have 3 A*s) and would I be compulsory pooled (or not...)?

I appreciate any responses!!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by xiaochen)
    They don't have any biases like that. Your application records are destroyed before the next round. There are all sorts of reasons why someone might reject an offer one year and reapply the next.

ReputationRep:
    Which subject was it you were rejected for and what were your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Which subject was it you were rejected for and what were your predicted grades?
    Rejected for engineering
    Predicted grades are A*A*A*A with A in music
    I have flaws though, like I self taught myself A levels maths in high school (cos no teachers taught me) and only got an A in year 11 so I resat c3 and c4 modules in year 12 and got an A*. However my total maths a level ums average is 87 due to a B in S2. I also have a random bad extra standalone D1 module (68 ums) lol.

Also I got 91, 100 and 59 (M2) in FM because I panicked and messed up pretty badly on that paper (i cried :'( ) but still got an A at AS with a low average UMS of 83.
    I was just unlucky and unfortunate (but still determined to keep trying!)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've been rejected from Cambridge for engineering but I am seriously considering reapplying if I exceed the minimum grade requirements for Cambridge (so basically get A*A*A* at least in my A levels). I would be doing a year in industry in my gap year.

However I have applied for other places like Imperial College (have an interview soon) and if I get an offer from them and decline it I am worried that they will remember that I declined their offer and have that bias towards me if I reapply to them a second time. I also already have offers from Manchester, UCL and I am waiting on Durham.

I totally understand the risks of reapplying but if I get rejected second time I would want to go Imperial but does anyone know whether these unis would have that kind of bias?

Also I already have maths A level A* and currently am doing 4 A levels (FM, Physics, Electronics, Music). If I only got say A*A*AA (A* in FM, say) would I still stand a chance of reapplying (since I technically have 3 A*s) and would I be compulsory pooled (or not...)?

I appreciate any responses!!
    The A* in Maths would be included in the A*A*A* "pooling" criteria.

And universities don't bear a grudge if you decline them and then reapply...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Rejected for engineering
    Predicted grades are A*A*A*A with A in music
    I have flaws though, like I self taught myself A levels maths in high school (cos no teachers taught me) and only got an A in year 11 so I resat c3 and c4 modules in year 12 and got an A*. However my total maths a level ums average is 87 due to a B in S2. I also have a random bad extra standalone D1 module (68 ums) lol.

Also I got 91, 100 and 59 (M2) in FM because I panicked and messed up pretty badly on that paper (i cried :'( ) but still got an A at AS with a low average UMS of 83.
    I was just unlucky and unfortunate (but still determined to keep trying!)
    Resitting multiple modules may continue to be problematic for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    The A* in Maths would be included in the A*A*A* "pooling" criteria.

And universities don't bear a grudge if you decline them and then reapply...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Resitting multiple modules may continue to be problematic for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would look really bad then? Even if I ended up with an A* in FM, I would be resitting M2 as well. in total i would have resat 3 modules including c3 and c4 out of the 14 modules taken for maths and FM.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Would look really bad then? Even if I ended up with an A* in FM, I would be resitting M2 as well. in total i would have resat 3 modules, c3 and c4 out of the 14 modules taken for maths and FM.
    To be honest, yes it may well do.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, yes it may well do.
    Okay then ill keep that in mind if i get rejected again haha. But these resits wont affect compulsory pooling right (as long as i meet those requirements)?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Okay then ill keep that in mind if i get rejected again haha. But these resits wont affect compulsory pooling right (as long as i meet those requirements)?
    Yes as far as I know.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    For compulsory pooling you would have to make sure your A*’s this year are in FM & Physics. As for STEM subjects you need 3 A*’s in Maths & Science.

Tbh Imperial is very good and arguably as good as anywhere for engineering. But if Cambridge is your dream then don’t let anyone stop you 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    For compulsory pooling you would have to make sure your A*’s this year are in FM & Physics. As for STEM subjects you need 3 A*’s in Maths & Science.

Tbh Imperial is very good and arguably as good as anywhere for engineering. But if Cambridge is your dream then don’t let anyone stop you 🙂
    It is my dream haha
    I know Imperial is good and doing a year in industry is not bad so if I get rejected second time its not too bad I guess.
    I'll try my best!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that......
    Master or Phd in Cambridge can be an alternative path (this is what I will think of, if I get rejected. I might go to Imperial in this case).
    But some work experience will be nice for an engineer! You might have a better idea of what you really enjoy. And it adds to you PS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by southpacific)
    Sorry to hear that......
    Master or Phd in Cambridge can be an alternative path (this is what I will think of, if I get rejected. I might go to Imperial in this case).
    But some work experience will be nice for an engineer! You might have a better idea of what you really enjoy. And it adds to you PS!
    Thank you! I think I'm definitely going for the gap year route if I get the grades I want
    But if not then yeah maybe a PhD

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.