officialzak_2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i wanna do medicine and im doing maths chem bio and im tied between psychology and business. I haven't done either but i think i am naturally good at business because im really good at maths and essays but also i think i wil find it easier . Also with psychology im really good with memorising facts as i do in geography at gcse. But i heard its 20 case studies for AS and the spec looks chunky so im worried that i will neglect my other studies for a while.
what are your views?
Matrix123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by officialzak_2001)
i wanna do medicine and im doing maths chem bio and im tied between psychology and business. I haven't done either but i think i am naturally good at business because im really good at maths and essays but also i think i wil find it easier . Also with psychology im really good with memorising facts as i do in geography at gcse. But i heard its 20 case studies for AS and the spec looks chunky so im worried that i will neglect my other studies for a while.
what are your views?
It could be worth looking at some potential university courses you're interested in and seeing if they have anything to say regarding these subjects? If they don't say anything specific, which do you think would be more valuable to you and which do you think you'd enjoy the most? I think you should go with whatever that subject is.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do psych along with biology and chemistry (I'm in year 13 now) and it is a lot of work but it's very interesting. It will depend on your exam board but AS Content wise in Edexcel it involves memorising:

>About 10 key studies in a lot of depth (aim, procedure, results, conclusion, strengths and weaknesses)
>About 15 theories (key terms, explanation, strengths and weaknesses)
>Four key questions (application of every theory from this section however this may be different depending on your question)
>Four key practicals (aim, procedure, result analysis, conclusions, strengths and weaknesses)
>Research methods (too much to count)
>Any extra points (e.g. we had to learn about phobias and drug addiction extra)
>Extra studies supporting every theory and study (not in as much depth but again there's quite a few)

So yeah there's a lot to memorise but it's really interesting and I enjoyed it a lot!
officialzak_2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Matrix123)
It could be worth looking at some potential university courses you're interested in and seeing if they have anything to say regarding these subjects? If they don't say anything specific, which do you think would be more valuable to you and which do you think you'd enjoy the most? I think you should go with whatever that subject is.
I need chem bio maths for cambridge however in my school its compulsory so i chose business studies which i plan on dropping. It says nothing on the website about it but i have 3 facilitating
officialzak_2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
I do psych along with biology and chemistry (I'm in year 13 now) and it is a lot of work but it's very interesting. It will depend on your exam board but AS Content wise in Edexcel it involves memorising:

>About 10 key studies in a lot of depth (aim, procedure, results, conclusion, strengths and weaknesses)
>About 15 studies (key terms, explanation, strengths and weaknesses)
>Four key questions (application of every theory from this section however this may be different depending on your question)
>Four key practicals (aim, procedure, result analysis, conclusions, strengths and weaknesses)
>Research methods (too much to count)
>Any extra points (e.g. we had to learn about phobias and drug addiction extra)
>Extra studies supporting every theory and study (not in as much depth but again there's quite a few)

So yeah there's a lot to memorise but it's really interesting and I enjoyed it a lot!
It looks lengthy and complicated so i dont want to neglect my oter 3 subjects when revising for exams
Matrix123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I need chem bio maths for cambridge however in my school its compulsory so i chose business studies which i plan on dropping. It says nothing on the website about it but i have 3 facilitating
That's good then. :yep: If business is what you're most interested in then do go for that one as an AS. :yy:
yeahthatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It looks lengthy and complicated so i dont want to neglect my oter 3 subjects when revising for exams
Fair enough! I managed to balance four subjects last year including religious studies in the mix which was also quite content heavy. I'll admit I neglected religious studies a bit for psych but it's cause I cared about it less than the others. Go with what you think is best and what you enjoy!
officialzak_2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
Fair enough! I managed to balance four subjects last year including religious studies in the mix which was also quite content heavy. I'll admit I neglected religious studies a bit for psych but it's cause I cared about it less than the others. Go with what you think is best and what you enjoy!
Sorry but were u able to revise as much for chemistry and biology in AS enough to get good grades as i heard chem gets difficult later on in the year so i'm just thinking about the future. As i dont plan on keeping psychology for A2
yeahthatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry but were u able to revise as much for chemistry and biology in AS enough to get good grades as i heard chem gets difficult later on in the year so i'm just thinking about the future. As i dont plan on keeping psychology for A2
I got AAAA in my AS exams last year so I'd definitely say it's feasible to revise for all enough! Honestly with my experience this year with chem I would say year 1 is harder but that could just be a personal thing. A lot of my time was spent revising psych and chem as psych had a lot of stuff and chem was my hardest lesson. Considering you're not thinking of taking it to A2 I would say it might be a lot of effort for not much reward so a different subject may be better but it's completely up to you.
randomsheep11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First of all, just doing Chemistr, Biology and Maths would certainly make you an eligible Medicine candidate. So if you are concerned about the workload you could just do 3 subjects if you really wanted, there's no harm in doing so.

However, if you do wish to do 4 subjects then I'd say that Psychology is much more relevant to what you want to study at University. Business doesn't seem as logical in my opinion.

That's my opinion on the matter, that Psychology would be better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?