The Student Room Group

A level ADVICE URGENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wanna do medicine and im doing maths chem bio and im tied between psychology and business. I haven't done either but i think i am naturally good at business because im really good at maths and essays but also i think i wil find it easier . Also with psychology im really good with memorising facts as i do in geography at gcse. But i heard its 20 case studies for AS and the spec looks chunky so im worried that i will neglect my other studies for a while.
what are your views?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by officialzak_2001
i wanna do medicine and im doing maths chem bio and im tied between psychology and business. I haven't done either but i think i am naturally good at business because im really good at maths and essays but also i think i wil find it easier . Also with psychology im really good with memorising facts as i do in geography at gcse. But i heard its 20 case studies for AS and the spec looks chunky so im worried that i will neglect my other studies for a while.
what are your views?

I think psychology links better with your other A-levels and especially with medicine; studying biology might make it easier for you. If you think it might make you neglect your other studies, though, why not just take 3 subjects? You're going to be very busy with work experience, admissions tests and so on if you want to do medicine, so you don't want to have another subject which might divert your attention.
I have to do 4
Original post by Sonechka
I think psychology links better with your other A-levels and especially with medicine; studying biology might make it easier for you. If you think it might make you neglect your other studies, though, why not just take 3 subjects? You're going to be very busy with work experience, admissions tests and so on if you want to do medicine, so you don't want to have another subject which might divert your attention.

It's compulsory
There is a whole section of TSR about Applying to Medicine - which has answers to these sorts of questions.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
It's compulsory

Oh right; in that case, unless you really really enjoy business, I'd say go with psychology. See if you can borrow a textbook to read through or sit in on a psychology class during a free, if you want to get a feel for how the subject might be.
Business doesn't involve maths, your maths skills are useless, unless you can't do percentage change and mean/standard deviation.

Unless the course has changed radically since last year.
Original post by Bart12345
Business doesn't involve maths, your maths skills are useless, unless you can't do percentage change and mean/standard deviation.

Unless the course has changed radically since last year.

the finance part and the subject isjust commen sense
Reply 8
Business Studies. As a Psychology student, it's an extremely demanding A-level and unless you're specifically wanting to look at neurology you should not do Psychology. It's also not accepted as a valid subject at certain universities.

On the other hand, Business studies is accepted at all universities. It's (slightly) less demanding, has a slightly more structured course, and in my opinion as someone who also studies Business studies - better resources. The course is now very Tech-based, but has a lot of maths skills incorperated in its second unit (10% of each exam is maths related at A-level!). What I will say is that both subjects are heavily essay based, so approach with caution. If you got a good Business studies grade at GCSE, with some dedication you should be able to get a similar overall grade for A-levels.
Is this really urgent though? As long as you have chemistry and bio then the others don't mean too much, as far as I know.
Original post by Luke_McC
Business Studies. As a Psychology student, it's an extremely demanding A-level and unless you're specifically wanting to look at neurology you should not do Psychology. It's also not accepted as a valid subject at certain universities.

On the other hand, Business studies is accepted at all universities. It's (slightly) less demanding, has a slightly more structured course, and in my opinion as someone who also studies Business studies - better resources. The course is now very Tech-based, but has a lot of maths skills incorperated in its second unit (10% of each exam is maths related at A-level!). What I will say is that both subjects are heavily essay based, so approach with caution. If you got a good Business studies grade at GCSE, with some dedication you should be able to get a similar overall grade for A-levels.

I didn't do GCSE business but i think business is the least demanding. But the exams are case studies based which is more applying which is quite off putting. Which one did you find easier
Also i thought psychology was more respected but anyways i was gonna keep wither of them to AS
Ah! Sorry, read your original post wrong. So yeah - you're somewhat right in that it's less demanding. It certainly isn't the least demanding, and some modules (cough cough - Investment and productivity and forms of business ownership) can be very demanding due to topic length, but right now I would find business studies far easier.

The course is very applied - you're right about that, but don't mistake this for less learning. There's around 2-4 marks available on application for bigger questions determined by how many marks are available. Your main marking points will be on Evaluation and Analysis, but this is much the same for Psychology.

Psychology is a great experience, but if you are willing to write, have the ability to analyse (Think Because something happens, this will lead to, therefore causing...) and like essays, I'd still say go for Business studies.
Original post by Luke_McC
Ah! Sorry, read your original post wrong. So yeah - you're somewhat right in that it's less demanding. It certainly isn't the least demanding, and some modules (cough cough - Investment and productivity and forms of business ownership) can be very demanding due to topic length, but right now I would find business studies far easier.

The course is very applied - you're right about that, but don't mistake this for less learning. There's around 2-4 marks available on application for bigger questions determined by how many marks are available. Your main marking points will be on Evaluation and Analysis, but this is much the same for Psychology.

Psychology is a great experience, but if you are willing to write, have the ability to analyse (Think Because something happens, this will lead to, therefore causing...) and like essays, I'd still say go for Business studies.

How do u make ur notes? Did u do the new spec?
I used a combination of the textbook, my teachers power points (which I annotate like crazy) the CCEA teachers guides which my teacher provides me, as well as a range of revision guides, past paper mark schemes (even if it's from the old spec, the marking points still have good theory), and essays from students who study the year above me as practical examples of what and what not to do. As well as this, there are online resources that I would use when necessary.

Most of your questions are marked on 4 key points (or at least are for my board) - knowledge, application, analysis, and evaluation. If you look at the Assessment objective points at the start of each topic you should be able to get a feel for how you should structure and annotate for each topic. So for example, the structure of evalutation questions for me is Definition, Advantage, rebuttal, disadvantage, rebuttal, conclusion. Anywhere the evaluation assessment objective point is brought up I structure my notes to accomodate for this.
sounds like your great at everything zach, don’t worry bout it mate
the finance part and the subject isjust commen sense

I would agree, but generally the good cause in asking Business Studies students to have a B in Maths GCSE is because of the length of maths (having to use a set of different equations to answer another equation, like price elasticity, which while it is common sense for many, people struggle with it.)
I'm studying A Level Business and tbh I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to take a career in business, finance, economics, management etc. I want to be a lawyer so it was a poor choice on my behalf :frown: I don't like other subjects like sports, art, IT, maths, science, dance etc...oh well. It's not a bad subject just be prepared to do a LOT of work and revision and I mean a lot, you have 4 units (well, themes) and themes 1-2 is fairly easy but themes 3-4 is really difficult, especially theme 4. Good luck in choosing your options and choose the ones YOU want to study that you enjoy and find applicable to your future career! :smile:
what are your views?
Original post by moonlight2018
I'm studying A Level Business and tbh I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to take a career in business, finance, economics, management etc. I want to be a lawyer so it was a poor choice on my behalf :frown: I don't like other subjects like sports, art, IT, maths, science, dance etc...oh well. It's not a bad subject just be prepared to do a LOT of work and revision and I mean a lot, you have 4 units (well, themes) and themes 1-2 is fairly easy but themes 3-4 is really difficult, especially theme 4. Good luck in choosing your options and choose the ones YOU want to study that you enjoy and find applicable to your future career! :smile:

Are u doing the new spec and AQA
Reply 18
It's compulsory

Its not compulsory, your school will just look better if you take 4. Take 3 to save yourself the hassle of dropping one after putting so much work into it. I regret letting myself be coerced into taking 4.
Original post by Ripmygrades
Its not compulsory, your school will just look better if you take 4. Take 3 to save yourself the hassle of dropping one after putting so much work into it. I regret letting myself be coerced into taking 4.

I've asked and they said no. they go that you could take a btec instead

Quick Reply

Latest