The Student Room Group

A level choices

I will be choosing my a levels soon and as I was looking at courses or future careers I came across medical researcher which I would love to do - at uni you have to do a biochemistry course (or something similar) to it though. For a levels I would like to take biology, chemistry and history. Would that be suitable as I don’t have a third “hard science”?
Reply 1
Original post by amna123
I will be choosing my a levels soon and as I was looking at courses or future careers I came across medical researcher which I would love to do - at uni you have to do a biochemistry course (or something similar) to it though. For a levels I would like to take biology, chemistry and history. Would that be suitable as I don’t have a third “hard science”?

maths would be really useful but I'm a great believer in doing what you enjoy and keeping your options open especially if you're not 100% sure on what you want to do.
Reply 2
Original post by anna257
maths would be really useful but I'm a great believer in doing what you enjoy and keeping your options open especially if you're not 100% sure on what you want to do.

Yeah I’ve been told loads maths would be great, but I really don’t like it and am not very good at it- that’s why I chose history because I just love it too much
Reply 3
Original post by amna123
Yeah I’ve been told loads maths would be great, but I really don’t like it and am not very good at it- that’s why I chose history because I just love it too much

I'd go for history then if I were you. Just bear in mind you would need to do maths modules in a biochemistry degree so you will have to do maths again even if you don't do it at a level. it's not essential though. stick to what you enjoy you might change your mind on your career anyway
Reply 4
Original post by anna257
I'd go for history then if I were you. Just bear in mind you would need to do maths modules in a biochemistry degree so you will have to do maths again even if you don't do it at a level. it's not essential though. stick to what you enjoy you might change your mind on your career anyway

So do you think I could still do a biochemistry degree without doing maths?? Or maybe instead of history I could do psychology as that also sounds interesting and it is like the third science?
Reply 5
Original post by amna123
So do you think I could still do a biochemistry degree without doing maths?? Or maybe instead of history I could do psychology as that also sounds interesting and it is like the third science?

have a look at what unis require. with regards to all a levels make sure you do the ones you enjoy as they require a lot of work and so if you don't enjoy them they're really difficult
Reply 6
Original post by anna257
have a look at what unis require. with regards to all a levels make sure you do the ones you enjoy as they require a lot of work and so if you don't enjoy them they're really difficult

yeah I think I’ll take a look at unis - right now I’m set with bio chem and history as those are the subjects I do enjoy most, thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply

Latest