SoIjust
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys! Here's my first post! My name is Kae and I'm a sixteen year old student from Edinburgh!
So like many, as someone who signed up right after exams to see threads on answers (amiright lads?), I've been getting TSR email notifications and have finally gotten round to signing up for an account. So lets quickly introduce what grades I already have.
Spoiler:
Show
  • Nat5 Maths - A
  • Nat5 English - A
  • Nat5 Biology - A
  • Nat5 Chemistry - A
  • Nat5 Physics - A
  • Nat5 Computing - A
  • Nat5 History - A
  • Higher Art and Design - A

While those are fine and all, and I'm soooo glad I hit all my target grades for those subjects, facing the truth, National 5 qualifications (first sat in 4th year of high school for those who don't know, around 15/16), don't mean much on a university application. Forgive me if I'm wrong there, but all the courses I've seen count highers, and so my real goals should be getting my 5 Higher As this year.

My dream course is Medicine, preferably at Edinburgh University, as it is the best for medicine in Scotland, as far as I'm aware.

Ideally these will be my grades for my preliminary exams in January-
Spoiler:
Show
  • Higher Maths - A
  • Higher English - A
  • Higher Chemistry - A
  • Higher Biology - A
  • Higher Physics - A

This will be difficult, I'm well aware, but I feel that with enough effort and enthusiasm anything can be achieved!

Thank you all for reading!!

I'll update this with details about my studying, my NHS volunteering and my school club volunteering! (ya know, once all the clubs I've applied for finally tell me if I can be a helper, ahah)

So lets just make a quick sub goal list- I'll start it now.
1. Get over 90% on my upcoming biology UASP test (21st/22nd of November) [✓] (completed as of 30/11/17)
SoIjust
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Friday 24th November

After a pretty poor week, I seem to have finally gotten myself motivated to study, which is great! Now let's just hope that motivation lasts more than one night...

Negatives
- Ended my SCHOLAR session on physics before the end as I was getting frustrated with not understanding how to do some questions
- Gave up on maths revision 30 minutes in to look up black friday deals

Positives
- Did almost 4 hours of revision, with over 2 on biology on unit 2, which I'll be tested on next week.
- Gained some motivation to continue biology revision, which hopefully will expand to all of my subjects.

Hope you have all had a lovely day, and hope this will inspire some of you all to fix up your schedule, like it has (hopefully) kickstarted me into doing!!
Attached files
kokaled
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
high school? what country were you in prior ?
SoIjust
Rep:
(Original post by kokaled)
high school? what country were you in prior ?
I'm from Scotland, where we have 7 years of primary then 6 years of high school, if that's what you're confused about. You enter high school at 11/12 years old here, and leave anywhere between 16-18 years old.
SoIjust
Rep:
Saturday 25th November

Pretty crammed day revision-wise, was out all morning/afternoon and so had to begin my revision at half four. My revision style today was rewording chapter of my biology textbook and answering exam-style questions on the topic at the end.

Had some signs telling me to stop, such as my brain making me write the sentence "species of yeast such as eukaryotes" and my favourite pen running dry mid way through a topic (RIP).

On the bright side, drew some nice diagrams which I have pics attached of, and feel satisfied by my progress today. Also ate a satsuma for the first time in a while, which was pretty good.

So onto overall negative/positives.

Negatives
- Didn't spend any of my morning revising
- Was revising past nine when I was tired
- Got to the stage where I couldn't spell the word "eukaryote"

Positives
- Still managed to get over 5 hours done (yay)
- Only have 1 and a half topics left until I've finished recapping unit 2 of biology
- Understand difficult topics (such as the electron transport chain) better than I did before
Attached files
SoIjust
Rep:
Sunday 26th November

Okay day, revision-wise. Was out all afternoon discussing medical schools with a cosmetic surgeon family friend, but managed to get almost two hours in in the morning and three in in the evening.
Focused mainly on biology, but did an hour and a bit on chemistry.

Negatives
- Found textbook chemistry work too boring to continue, will need to find an alternative
- Realised how little of the unit my class has done so far in chemistry, quite disappointing

Positives
- Got new pens which flow really nicely and motivate me to keep going!
- Finished recapping the second unit of biology!!! Hopefully more prepared for my test now!

Any advice on the best ways to revise for chemistry? Thank you! x
Attached files
SoIjust
Rep:
Monday 27th November

Okay so maybe it's not still monday but I forgot to update last night so I'll do it now

Total of over two hours revision, one hour being physics and the rest biology.

Negatives
- Physics past papers are wayyy harder than I'm ready for
- Didn't do any biology past papers

Positives
- Completed all the biology topic tests for unit to and the end of unit test on SCHOLAR

So, biology test today and tomorrow! Hope it goes well!
SoIjust
Rep:
Tuesday 28th November

Did the first half of my biology test today! Went fairly alright, some questions confused me but I asked the teacher about them at the end and had about the right idea, so points for trying?

Borrowed a physics model paper book from school, so worked through that for a while. Also worked on biology from SCHOLAR for a bit, for the second half of my test tomorrow.

Negatives
- Might not have been the best idea to work through all the model papers this far away from the exams...
- Haven't done maths in a while

Positives
- Did a solid 4 hours after school today
- Fairly confident about my biology test
- Better understanding of physics exam questions
SoIjust
Rep:
Wednesday 29th November

Been feeling really motivated to revise recently, can go on for 4-5 hours after school until I go to sleep with the only break being for tea... I'm trying not to do that though, cause I feel that will only burn me out. Sticking with a solid 3 hours after school for now, even if I feel like I could go longer.

Negatives
- Missed the live SCHOLAR session on higher biology (...despite my teacher reminding us earlier today AND my friend texting me an hour before)
- Got a bit frustrated at polynomials after a while of doing them, had to switch topics to keep going

Positives
- Practised integration the day we started it, seems to be going well, I got all of the practise exercise questions correct so far
- Made a neat little table to record which topics I do in maths each day and how long I spend on them
username2975726
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Keeep going u got this
SoIjust
Rep:
Thank you!!
SoIjust
Rep:
Thursday 30th November

Woo! Almost the weekend!!! Friday here I come!
Did three hours again today, trying to give myself breaks. Did one hour of chemistry straight after school, and two hours of English revision

Negatives
- Probably didn't do a great job at memorising quotes from the poems I studied, was too focused on analysis.
- Realised how hard I'm finding the second unit of chemistry

Positives
- Refreshed my mind on the 3 poems that will be in my prelim next month for English
- Made some pretty notes
- Somewhat understand chemistry better? Though that's a stretch, kind of

Additionally, I got my biology results back!! 93%!!
SoIjust
Rep:
Friday 1st December

Went home ill from school today, felt light headed and had the worst headache. Won't be doing any studying today.
SoIjust
Rep:
Tuesday 5th December

Feeling better now

Did 2 hrs revision, 2 30 minute sessions of chem/maths and a 1 hour english live session on scholar.
ILuvFood1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I have seen people vlog but never have I ever come across a person who blogs their journey to their desired destination. You are a very motivated person and I'm 100% sure that you will make it to Edinburgh Uni for Medicine. You're really committed to blogging. When I first opened the discussion I thought it would be like one thread and that's it but you're really giving it your all. We lack people like you in society, if everyone was this committed and passionate about something then the UK would have reached very far with a lot of things, including Brexit. Don't let anyone's opinion define you or influence your decisions in life. Keep up with your blogging and good luck with your career in medicine. I know you can make a difference to this world. 👍🏼
SoIjust
Rep:
(Original post by ILuvFood1234)
I have seen people vlog but never have I ever come across a person who blogs their journey to their desired destination. You are a very motivated person and I'm 100% sure that you will make it to Edinburgh Uni for Medicine. You're really committed to blogging. When I first opened the discussion I thought it would be like one thread and that's it but you're really giving it your all. We lack people like you in society, if everyone was this committed and passionate about something then the UK would have reached very far with a lot of things, including Brexit. Don't let anyone's opinion define you or influence your decisions in life. Keep up with your blogging and good luck with your career in medicine. I know you can make a difference to this world. 👍🏼
Oh my god this is such a nice thing to say, I never really expected any responses in this thread and I have to say I'm absolutely touched.
This is really motivating, thank you so much for your kind words :)
SoIjust
Rep:
Wednesday 6th December

Woo! Feeling festive! Christmas competitions are all around the school, so I'm working on entries for those out of school as well as revision for now.

Total revision today so far - 2 hours +

Negatives
- Found myself getting bored while doing maths, didn't work extremely efficiently

Positives
- In a great mood while revising
- Did a great chunk of maths, and got most of the answers I did correct!
revisionlad
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
This is amazing! You're very determined and your work ethic is amazing! Good job!
SoIjust
Rep:
(Original post by revisionlad)
This is amazing! You're very determined and your work ethic is amazing! Good job!
Thank you so much!!!
SoIjust
Rep:
Saturday 9th December

Was out this morning picking up a skirt for my school's christmas dance, and will be out again later going to the christmas market.
Have done 2 hours so far, but probably won't have time to do more.

Positives
- Feel more accomplished with my maths
- Finished my chemistry poster homework

Negatives
- May have missed out some important details for my chemistry poster
- Realising I've forgotten a good chunk of unit 1 so far
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads