The Student Room Group

At what age did your parents stop dropping you at school?

Mine was at age 8. My primary school was 3 mins away.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My school was miles away so I always got lifts.
Mum drove me to primary school because it was a few miles away and primary schools here don't have busses. But I got the bus to secondary school (age 12+)
Reply 3
First year of high school.

So that would make me around 12?
(edited 6 years ago)
Even though we lived literally next-door to my primary school, my mum continued to drop me off until I left primary school. I got dropped off at secondary school now and then if I had an orthodontist appointment or something, but I generally made my own way to school from year 7.
I stopped dropping my lads when they were in sixth form.
Why would they walk when they could get a lift?!!!!
It got worse though. No lifts required anymore but I would wave them, and my car off, at 8 am every day!!!
Year 5, so roughly 9-10 years old.
I think I was about 9 or 10. I used to walk with a friend after that.
In year 7. My secondary school was only a 10 minute walk away from my dad's house so I just walked. Unless my dad had to work early or it was properly p*ssing it down, then we might have gotten a lift.

My primary school was too far away to walk on my own so young so my mum walked me there and back. It wasn't actually that far and I could walk it now, but not that young on my own.
Mine still tries to and I'm at uni!

But seriously, I started walking independently at around Year 7 as my house was close.
Original post by Blazingphoenix
Mine still tries to and I'm at uni!

But seriously, I started walking independently at around Year 7 as my house was close.

Lol why?
Original post by FloralLuxe
Lol why?

I think its just sentiment. I lived out for a year (commuting now) and now that I'm back they realised that family is family, you know? You want them to be independent but they will always be kids, etc.
i was in year 5/6 i think
Reply 13
Like 10 I think, and I had to walk like 30 mins but that’s cus I hated buses, with the bus it was only 15 but that wasn’t everyday. Then in secondary school I had to get the train everyday since year 7
My primary school was miles away so I always used to get dropped off. From year 7 to year 11 I always walked. And now in year 12 I sometimes get dropped off but I always make my way back home when I have free afternoons.
In year 4 (8yrsold) because my brother started year 6 and so we just walked together. even year 7 when school was an hour away by train, i still went by myself. --- wayfaring stranger
I'm 18 and my mummy and daddy still drop me off at college.
like year 7 (age 12), because even tho i lived near my primary school my mum thought it was too dangerous for a kid to walk ???
Started walking a bit by myself in year 5/6, then when I moved to high school I walked with my sister
My school was only 15 minutes - other side of my village, and everyone else was walking too
My parents never dropped me off to school my nanny did, until I went to boarding school in year 7

Quick Reply

Latest