The Student Room Group

If I firm a uni, does that mean I have to go there?

If I firm a university and later change my mind..am I stuck with that university (assuming I get the grades to go there)?
There's something called adjustment where you can get into a different uni other than your firm but I'm not too sure how that process actually works. I know it is a thing because it appeared on UCAS track on results day when I found out I got in my firm with grades much higher than my requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
There's something called adjustment where you can get into a different uni other than your firm but I'm not too sure how that process actually works. I know it is a thing because it appeared on UCAS track on results day when I found out I got in my firm with grades much higher than my requirements.

thank you!
Reply 3

Yh adjustment is only if you get grades higher than the entry requirements for your firm. I think only other way of not going to your firm is by rejecting the choice and going to clearing??
Original post by dlaws.
If I firm a university and later change my mind..am I stuck with that university (assuming I get the grades to go there)?

It’s a commitment. That means that aside from adjustment or taking a gap year then the only way to change your mind is with the agreement and cooperation of your firm university.

You have lots of time before you need to make a decision. There’s no benefit to deciding early. You shouldn’t be sending a firm to ucas until April at the earliest
Original post by PQ
It’s a commitment. That means that aside from adjustment or taking a gap year then the only way to change your mind is with the agreement and cooperation of your firm university.

You have lots of time before you need to make a decision. There’s no benefit to deciding early. You shouldn’t be sending a firm to ucas until April at the earliest

I sent mine in December, but only because that uni was my absolute favourite. I had that good feeling from it and was 100% certain, hence why I firmed it so early. OP - don't firm unless you're completely sure or it causes a lot of hassle for you.
I sent mine in December, but only because that uni was my absolute favourite. I had that good feeling from it and was 100% certain, hence why I firmed it so early. OP - don't firm unless you're completely sure or it causes a lot of hassle for you.

Even if you’re 100% sure then there’s no rush. Circumstances outside your control might change your priorities or limit your options.

Obviously that’s a slim chance and everything went smoothly for you:smile:
Reply 7
Thanks everyone :biggrin:

Quick Reply