The Student Room Group

GCSE RSS end of unit test conundrum

Just had an RSS test on God's existence( it is OCR 9-1 spec). Did brilliantly until I found out I had spend 25 minutes of the 30. on just half the paper. I had to rush the last 15 mark question in 5 minutes(this is when the teacher told us we had 5 mins left and I hadn't even touched the last question worth half the marks of the test). I only wrote half a side and my handwriting was big on that question. However, I felt like I got 100% on the first half of the test and (though very few) relevant arguments in the last question with quotes.
The bottom line is I revised extremely hard for this test( I got 90% on the last unit test with less revision btw), but I still feel like I will do crap especially since I couldn't manage my time in the test(not least, because I forgot my watch and the room didn't have a clock). Since I'm going to get around 65% to 70%( which is not good for me since I have high standards of myself unlike the average joe but in this case I have probably done bad enough to be below average ), would my teacher allow me to have a re-test? Theoretically, he could make new questions quite easily that would be different. Do NOT say that it is okay because I feel very sad about it. For someone who gets 90s, then suddenly drops by 20 something percent, it does not feel good. I may not sound it but I feel as if I cannot live with myself. The thing is I could have done sooo much better as I studied incredibly hard(literally to the point of reciting the textbook by heart). I feel like a massive failure now. It feels like I am no longer good at RSS no matter how much I say to myself that everyone makes mistakes and has bad days. It just doesnt work. I know people who never seem to have bad-days while I almost always get them. I cannot feel good or successful unless I get 90% or above. This is especially seems frustrating because I have lost potentially a lot of marks by forgetting a watch. I am not even kidding here. Something like that has caused me to screw up on this test today. I am literally fuming at myself for being stupid. Yes, I know there will be a clock in the real exams and the mocks but that does not make me feel any better. Untill the mocks, I'm a failure at RSS and cannot convince myself otherwise or get any optimism. I want to redeem myself.
Will my teacher be understanding if I ask to re-sit the test or will he not care? Will he allow me to redo the test because he wants to see me improve?
Note: I am very sorry if I have offended anyone by sounding braggy or making a big deal. That was not my intention but I felt like explaining the whole picture so that people can see where I am coming from and can hopefully help me. Sorry for the long read but hopefully you can understand why I am not chilled about it but really what should I do about it? Should I talk to him about it? Or will he regard them as good grades(when they are awful instead) and not consider the possibility of a re-test? Btw he is a new teacher and no one has asked for re-tests(they only get forced to do them if they get like 40% but I think that's only for languages and physics). The people who work hard somehow never seem to mess up and the people who do not are fine with those scores. I can't react well to any sort of failure
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest