alexc00
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is the combined honours (triple) at Sheffield seen as less useful than, say, a dual honours?
I want to do Russian,French and Linguistics as a triple combined honours but if the degree will be seen as less valuable than, say, a degree in Russian and Linguistics then I’ll go for the latter.
It probably sounds like a stupid question, I know, but I’m really unsure about it? Will it just say “combined honours” or will it list my subjects? Do you end up learning less? I’m kind of leaning towards the dual honours anyway,I just don’t want to lose my French because I love the language. Thanks
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alexseb31)
Is the combined honours (triple) at Sheffield seen as less useful than, say, a dual honours?
I want to do Russian,French and Linguistics as a triple combined honours but if the degree will be seen as less valuable than, say, a degree in Russian and Linguistics then I’ll go for the latter.
It probably sounds like a stupid question, I know, but I’m really unsure about it? Will it just say “combined honours” or will it list my subjects? Do you end up learning less? I’m kind of leaning towards the dual honours anyway,I just don’t want to lose my French because I love the language. Thanks
I believe the degree will list all three subjects, but you should double check and ask the university directly.

You will inventively end up learning less, but some people prefer to have a broad knowledge of various different subjects rather than a deep knowledge of one or two. Personally, I think taking a difficult language like Russian requires at least 50% of your time, any less than that and you risk graduating with sub par language skills.

I assume Sheffield uni has a language centre, most unis do, you could take French evening classes there in your own time.
alexc00
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
I believe the degree will list all three subjects, but you should double check and ask the university directly.

You will inventively end up learning less, but some people prefer to have a broad knowledge of various different subjects rather than a deep knowledge of one or two. Personally, I think taking a difficult language like Russian requires at least 50% of your time, any less than that and you risk graduating with sub par language skills.

I assume Sheffield uni has a language centre, most unis do, you could take French evening classes there in your own time.
I hadn't thought about taking French classes in my spare time.
To be fair, I'd rather have a deeper knowledge of two courses than a broad knowledge of three - I'm not really interested in an actual degree in French, but I felt it would be a waste of 7 years of French lessons if I was going to forget it all by the time I'd left university. I'll probably go for the dual honours then. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (97)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (112)
12.39%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.87%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (49)
5.42%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.06%
Financial worries (62)
6.86%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.19%

Watched Threads