The Student Room Group

Is oxford respected more than Cambridge?

Is it more impressive getting into Cambridge or Oxford
I don't think it matters imo? They're both really respected.
Getting into either one of them is a big achievement - I wouldn't have thought one is better than the other?
Yea, if I was a ceo and had the time to only interview one candidate and had 2 cvs one guy from Cambridge and one from oxford.

I would call in the oxford person.
Original post by Anonymous

They are roughly the same, depending on your courses obviously. Cambridge is famous for NatSci, Oxford is for EM, PPE... Impressive to go to either of them, or actually if you want to be super ultra impressive, go to both. You got undergrad, master, phd to go :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by hannah00
Yea, if I was a ceo and had the time to only interview one candidate and had 2 cvs one guy from Cambridge and one from oxford.

I would call in the oxford person.

Why?
I'd say they're equally impressive. Oxford does seem to have a bit more of an international prestige though.
Why?

More successful people went oxford.
Implies they are better at selecting students and educating them.

Also feel like oxford published a better dictionar

Depends on your course. But really, both are highly respected and if you're choosing between them, you should worry more about which course you prefer and where you'd be happiest.

This is my personal opinion. I think getting to Cambridge is more respected.

I think Cambridge gets people that are brilliant in a particular field and deepens that field, but Oxford gets people that are overall intelligent with general success.

It is the reason why Oxford grads are probably likely to be world leaders or CEOs while Cambridge grads to be Nobel Prize winners or genius-level intellectuals.
Oxford has a shoe named after it ( or is it the other way round ? i cannot remember )

anyway i am sure that they are both very nice.
Reply 11
Both are well respected.

Quick Reply

Latest