The Student Room Group

ruined a potential friend? what should i do...

so long story short, i was in class doing a group activity and we were assigned roles and i was partnered with a guy (lets for argument's sake call him.. ) John, to do a section of the presentation. i was researching, doing work and john was just messing around but also making me laugh quite a bit with silly jokes, some girl in my group noticed me laughing as if its such a big deal and started making all these faces towards him and mouthing things insinuating that he likes me or i like him-whatever. john even said back no its not like that but i just ignored it, pretended i wasn't paying attention to them or what she was saying but i found it pretty obvious what she was trying to hint at. she continued to do this to him when i was laughing more afterwards and for some reason, i just felt quite annoyed and self-conscious because i wasn't thinking of it in that way at all that i like him or he likes me i was just laughing. but i just hated the fact that she was slyly trying to accuse me of such a thing (which i think is rude like just do the work what does it matter, am i not allowed to laugh? ) anyway i forced myself to stop laughing and started ignoring john just so she would stop making dumb faces and leave me alone. but then john tried even harder to make me laugh and i just ended up getting frustrated and physically pushed him away quite harshly. and literally, right after that i felt bad and apologised. but he took it really personally and was upset the whole lesson and didn't talk to me not even when i tried to tell him about the work. :frown:
(p.s. i dont like him in any way, and i didn't really know the girl...probably why she didnt address me personally, i dont know why i acted out like that and ignored him and was rude but i feel really bad now cuz ive just ruined a potential friend? he really did look genuinely upset and im just so mad at the girl for making it a big deal when it wasn't. and now i dont know what to do in this situation :frown:(( )
Why don't you find him afterwards and explain to him why you were behaving as you did? People can be surprisingly understanding
Just explain it, he’ll understand.
Reply 3
thanks.

Quick Reply