Uni right now... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ok here goes. I'm in my 1st year of uni. I moved away from home which is quite far away from the UK. I've just started 2nd term and am having exams. One went very well, the other not well, the last one is this week. Now, apart from exams I am feeling really bad, psychologically speaking. I know there are TONS of these threads but I have really reached my limit. I just do not like being here. I miss my parents beyond any point I thought I would and really want to be home or travelling or doing a placement.

I have a very low self esteem and quite low confidence in what I do too. I suppose what I'm saying is, I don't feel ready for being where I am right now, at uni. I would love to take a year out and just explore. Travel a bit, be home a bit, and all that, after my first year.

I really feel like I can't handle this just yet. It's not a question about more socializing or joining societies, as I do both. It's a genuine feeling of missing my parents and the comforts of home.

Now I realise that you are probably thinking (as do I) that we all need to mature and get on with life and that uni is part of that. Very true. Yet I feel like a year out to just get to know what I like, and explore who I am would really be beneficial.

However, I do noit know how to explain this to my parents nor my university. It's gotten to a point where I just want out. I'll come back (its not a hell hole here) and I'll be off campus in terms of accommodation so that will be nice. But for now, I just want to get away a bit find what I want in life, so I fel a greater purpose, pride, and motivation in being at university.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)

one email that said :
mum i'm dropping out of uni because i slept with some guy. Shane broke up with me and i found out i'm pregnant. i'm so sorry. I hope you'll forgive me. (or along those lines)

she emailed back, obviously horrified and told me i couldn't possibly have a baby. i'd be ruining my life etc etc

i emailed back again to say that it wasn't true. me and shane are still together, i'm not pregnant and i'm just leaving university to evaluate what i want from my life.

she was so relieved that the first one wasn't true that she sees my choice to drop out as a mature choice and sees that it isn't the end of the world.
LOL

Interesting.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i recently told my mum i'm leaving university after this year and that i may go back if i later feel like i want to, or just do open uni or something. - i love my hometown very much and i grew up in a house with six other kids and had another 4 step brothers so family has always been very important to me. being far away combined with the fact i didn't know what i was doing made me incredibly depressed.

here's how i told her

one email that said :
mum i'm dropping out of uni because i slept with some guy. Shane broke up with me and i found out i'm pregnant. i'm so sorry. I hope you'll forgive me. (or along those lines)

she emailed back, obviously horrified and told me i couldn't possibly have a baby. i'd be ruining my life etc etc

i emailed back again to say that it wasn't true. me and shane are still together, i'm not pregnant and i'm just leaving university to evaluate what i want from my life.

she was so relieved that the first one wasn't true that she sees my choice to drop out as a mature choice and sees that it isn't the end of the world.

maybe something similar would work with your family.

good luck in whatever you chose to do
In this situation I think the OP's parents would like a more honest approach :p:

OP, can't you just complete year one..then defer year 2? Have a year out and then come back? Or will your uni not allow it ?
bex_26797
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i recently told my mum i'm leaving university after this year and that i may go back if i later feel like i want to, or just do open uni or something. - i love my hometown very much and i grew up in a house with six other kids and had another 4 step brothers so family has always been very important to me. being far away combined with the fact i didn't know what i was doing made me incredibly depressed.

here's how i told her

one email that said :

maybe something similar would work with your family.

good luck in whatever you chose to do
lol... my english teacher had a letter along the lines of that and supplied it to some people lol.. did you find that on the interet?
Anonymous #1
Haha, yea I know that joke (unfortunately so do my parents). Besides, I just want to be straight with them from the start. However I need to be as convisncing as I feel. I can finish the year but need some time away to evaluate everything, whether the course and uni is really for me, and look at what I want from my time there. It just seems like a big tunnel right now, and I want to get through it. I will go back to uni after that year out for sure, I just need some time to travel, get some work experience, an just mature a bit more.
Anonymous #1
WOW, it said one reply, but now all these are here! Anyway, that's exactly what I want:

Finish year 1. Take a year out, and come back and do year 2 and year 3.

I assume telling university and my parents that my current health (psychologically speaking) isn't doing too good and that I think a year full of work experience and some travelling would really help and that I would benefit greatly in the long run, should provide for enough basis to be allowed to do it.
Anonymous #1
Any opinions/advice appreciated! I really want to know what other people think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1205)
79.59%
Leave (309)
20.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise