The Student Room Group

Can you get into Chemistry at Kings through adjustment?

Hi I recently sent off my application to Chemical Engineering only to find there aren't many future job prospects with this course. That's why I'm looking to get into a chemistry course instead but it's hard toto change courses once the application had been sent.

That's why I'm thinking if it's possible to get into a chemistry course at a university I haven't applied to on results day. I'm predicted AAB but know if I work hard enough I can achieve better than this.
Original post by Sakibahmed_
Hi I recently sent off my application to Chemical Engineering only to find there aren't many future job prospects with this course. That's why I'm looking to get into a chemistry course instead but it's hard toto change courses once the application had been sent.

That's why I'm thinking if it's possible to get into a chemistry course at a university I haven't applied to on results day. I'm predicted AAB but know if I work hard enough I can achieve better than this.

With the exception of working in a chemistry lab (and there arent that many jobs in chemistry compared to chem eng) there arent any jobs you cant do with a chem eng degree compared to a chemistry degree. Why did you apply for chem eng? surely it was because you wanted to become a chemical engineer?

You can reject each uni in ucas now and apply through ucas extra to places that still have places in their chemistry courses.

Kings might have places in adjustment but to be eligble for it you need to accept a offer for a course you get an offer for and then exceed that offer which is a big risk, just go through ucas extra if you want to change (or if you have applied to kings for chem eng you could ask them to change it to chemistry)
Reply 2
Original post by madmadmax321
With the exception of working in a chemistry lab (and there arent that many jobs in chemistry compared to chem eng) there arent any jobs you cant do with a chem eng degree compared to a chemistry degree. Why did you apply for chem eng? surely it was because you wanted to become a chemical engineer?

You can reject each uni in ucas now and apply through ucas extra to places that still have places in their chemistry courses.

Kings might have places in adjustment but to be eligble for it you need to accept a offer for a course you get an offer for and then exceed that offer which is a big risk, just go through ucas extra if you want to change (or if you have applied to kings for chem eng you could ask them to change it to chemistry)

Hey, thanks for your reply. I will definitely try the UCAS extra option however one thing that worries me is how my personal statement fits into all of this and whether or not they'd offer me because of it. Do you think they'll consider that I changed course?
Hey, thanks for your reply. I will definitely try the UCAS extra option however one thing that worries me is how my personal statement fits into all of this and whether or not they'd offer me because of it. Do you think they'll consider that I changed course?

Most unis wont care, some might question your commitment but as long as you have the right grades for the entry requirements it will be fine, unis get that students change their mind and quite frankly chemistry isnt a massively popular subject so they will just want to fill their places too

When I applied (4 years ago) I applied for chemistry (chemistry ps) and then got offers and changed my mind, rejected all my offers and went through ucas extra for physics, I had no issue with getting an offer and they didnt even question why I was changing. (think I had a offer from the uni I wanted within 4 days)
Reply 4
Original post by madmadmax321
Most unis wont care, some might question your commitment but as long as you have the right grades for the entry requirements it will be fine, unis get that students change their mind and quite frankly chemistry isnt a massively popular subject so they will just want to fill their places too

When I applied (4 years ago) I applied for chemistry (chemistry ps) and then got offers and changed my mind, rejected all my offers and went through ucas extra for physics, I had no issue with getting an offer and they didnt even question why I was changing. (think I had a offer from the uni I wanted within 4 days)

Do I have to wait until the university makes a decision to use UCAS extra, and if I use UCAS extra to change course must they be at the same university's I applied for?
Do I have to wait until the university makes a decision to use UCAS extra, and if I use UCAS extra to change course must they be at the same university's I applied for?

You have to have no offers or pending decisions from on your ucas track (so you could cancel each pending decision separately on ucas track if you dont want to wait for them to make a offer/reject you)

You can apply to any uni for any course that has places in ucas extra (think there will be a option on ucas search to see what courses + unis have places still, or you can contact the courses admissions department of the uni you want apply to through extra and ask when ucas extra opens)

Ucas extra doesnt open until late feb though

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices
There are lots of jobs in Chemistry as well as Chem Eng but to get a chem-based job, it usually requires further study and/or experience in the labs.

Kings also do Chemistry through clearing

Quick Reply