anon5252
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have received an unconditional offer if I firm MMU. However, I also have offers from Russel Universities. I am considering firming University of Leeds because I would get a reduced offer if I pass the Access to Leeds module - ABB. However, I am undecided between firming either University of York or University of Leeds. I would have to go through the York interview first. I am considering putting MMU as my insurance.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anon5252)
I have received an unconditional offer if I firm MMU. However, I also have offers from Russel Universities. I am considering firming University of Leeds because I would get a reduced offer if I pass the Access to Leeds module - ABB. However, I am undecided between firming either University of York or University of Leeds. I would have to go through the York interview first. I am considering putting MMU as my insurance.
If you read the terms of your offer then the unconditional is likely to only apply if you firm it. Reqa the offer to make sure. I would go to the others.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anon5252)
Hi!

You can hear from some of our current Law students on our website at http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/law/study/scho...undergraduate/.

Have you had the chance to visit us at one of our Open Days? They are a really good chance to speak to some of our current students and staff to discuss the course here at MMU. They are also a great way of getting a feel of the campus, to see if it would be the right fit for you.

Our law students have the opportunity to complete pro bono work, the chance to study abroad, and also develop mooting skills (you may even be able to represent the School at national and regional competitions!). We also have a mock courtroom where you can develop confidence and practice legal skills in a realistic legal environment.

You may find this page useful on our website - http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/law/study/school-life/.

If you are undecided as to which universities to put as your firm and insurance choices, I would definitely recommend visiting yoru choices at an Open Day or Applicant Visit Day. You can then compare the different universities to help you make your decision.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions about our law programmes just let me know

Rebecca
BookaShade
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did my law degree at MMU and I certainly don't regret going. I graduated in 2014 with a first and have since gone on to complete a Master's (at a uni abroad, not at MMU) and am now looking at PhDs. I definitely feel MMU, whilst not having the greatest reputation, set me up well.

On the whole the teaching at MMU is really good. Whilst other unis utilise pure academics to teach courses, MMU on the most part uses former/current professionals who have a decent working knowledge of how legal practice works. If you are looking to go on and undertake the LPC/BPTC afterwards I think MMU would give you a really good head start (this is what I've been told by others - I did one month of the LPC before I got so bored I had to leave but after graduating I worked as a paralegal for a time, and definitely recognised MMU's influence in my understanding of legal practice and legal issues.)

In terms of teaching, there are certain real standout individuals and some that are not so great, but that is the same at every uni.

In terms of access to resources - as with a lot of unis it's pretty dire - unless things have changed since I was there the access to materials in the library is pretty poor and the number of journals on offer through lexis/westlaw is minimal, although the law librarians will always try to find missing materials for you. I was there when fees were still at £3k though so maybe with the increase they've added more (although let's be real I doubt it).

For me MMU really came into its own with the support you're provided as a student - staff seem to bend over backwards to help you succeed and that in itself for me would be a reason to seriously consider it. I've heard from people who did their law degrees at Leeds and other red bricks and no-one speaks particularly highly of the support they're given.

One consideration, although it may be too early to know yet, - but do you have any preliminary legal interests? The Human Rights and International Law teams at MMU are really really good and committed - you have lecturers like Kim Edmonds (who is hands down one of the best lecturers I've come across), Dr Modeme, Annapurna Waughrey - all of them are superbly knowledgable and passionate about their subjects. If those areas interest you - MMU is definitely worth a shout.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
As with every single educational institution on the planet, by some weird chance of nature, you will have very good and very bad lecturers. The only real issue is the proportion of which.

Man. Met. has a few, but most of the few have left. It is now largely a matriarchy of the useless 'purple rinse' brigade waiting for their a their pensions or a sterling rearguard of the Associate Lecturers who actually do all the work.

Man. Met. (for Law) is nothing more than a processing plant. There are some good people on the conveyor belt (like Kim), but by now, even they are thoroughly disilussioned by the sorry and remorseless and near anonymous process of gutting haddock. Sorry, I meant 'teaching students.'

Now I recognise that some people like the factory-packaged touch. They work in MacDonalds and it's what they understand.

Yet if you value a liberal education over mass production you simply have to give law at MMU a very wide bearth.

Fine for the intellectual munchkins but not for those whose lips do not move when they read.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.67%
Excited but a bit nervous (146)
45.34%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.8%
I'm really nervous (65)
20.19%

Watched Threads