The Student Room Group

Buy a laptop or desktop?

It's my eighteenth in a few weeks and my mum has offered to buy me a computer for me to take to uni next autumn. My question; will a laptop or desktop be a better choice?

We don't have money to burn, so it would fairly low-end, and I'm well aware a desktop will therefore come with a higher spec - important as it will be my media centre; for CDs, DVDs, gaming (only FM and stuff), and the last (and least:rolleyes:) essay writing. Also, I think it's more likely to last the 3 years.

However, the laptop obviously has it in terms of portability; taking it to the libary and suchlike. Also, being at Oxford (hopefully), I've heard I'll be constantly moving my stuff back and forth, and a laptop will be much more convenient for continuing work when at home.

Any opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How much are you going to be needing to do on your computer?

I'd recommend a laptop, for portability, as you said - you never know when you'll need a computer somewhere other than your bedroom/the library.

I do a lot of video editing; my laptop's 2.5 years old now, but still manages a fair bit - the low-end laptops now are catching up with mine though. Unless you're going for anything major, a laptop should be fine. :smile:
I just had my 18th and got a laptop, love it.
Deff go for a laptop, think of when you go home.. you will have nothing. You wont have any of your work with you or music or anything. Unless you drag you desktop with you everytime.
If you have a HSBC student account you get 40% off Dell laptops :wink:
xx
Reply 3
How much will you need to move the machine? If that's any more than seldom, then get a laptop. Desktops just are not built to be moved a lot. Are you going somewhere with a wireless campus? If so, then laptops are great. You can access the internet anywhere at any time - so handy! They also take up less space in an often small bedroom.

You've already listed some pros towards a desktop, so will leave that.
Reply 4
Move all my stuff in and out every ten weeks apparently. Thanks all... my minds' made-up. I was leaning towards getting a laptop anyway, but there were some advantages towards a desktop I wanted to discuss.
Reply 5
To be honest, there isn't a great difference in £/spec between pcs and laptops at the moment. I actually brought both with me when I started Uni, and my PC has now been relegated to the cupboard :p:. Here's why:
Laptop is better spec, Intel core 2 due, 2gb Ram, Vista.
Plugged my monitor into my laptop so I now I dual screen which I love (my monitor is supposedly a TV primarily, so if you won't have a TV anyway, this won't apply to you)
Take up less space on the desk.

Only down side has been buying an external hardrive, and this is the only real problem with laptops now, and will forever (I expect) blight them, you can't upgrade them. I don't really mind, I consider my harddrive an investment and when the time comes that I feel my lappy is too slow, I'll shell out another £400 :p:
Reply 6
I was in the same boat, my 18th is in a few weeks and I've decided on a laptop. I've looked at loads of websites online and I think I've decided on mine.

How much were you looking to spend?
Reply 7
Adthegreat
To be honest, there isn't a great difference in £/spec between pcs and laptops at the moment.

You're right, a couple years ago this difference was huge. Enough people have been choosing laptops over desktops to reduce the gap between them.
Reply 8
playingcards
Move all my stuff in and out every ten weeks apparently. Thanks all... my minds' made-up. I was leaning towards getting a laptop anyway, but there were some advantages towards a desktop I wanted to discuss.

I came to uni with a desktop, and because I was having to move it quite often I bought a laptop. It was pretty much wrecking the desktop.
Reply 9
Don't buy one yet unless you'll actually use it before uni. Between now and October things'll get cheaper/you'll get more for your money.

But ye, go for a laptop :yy:
Reply 10
If you don't already have a job, a summer job can get you a decent laptop. I worked at Little Chef (eugh) last summer, and the spoils of that went on this nice shiny MacBook I'm on now! :smile: If your mum's being generous, you could always go halves on a more expensive model.
If you go with a laptop, then get an external keyboard and mouse to go with it. They're not expensive, and you do not want to type a 12,000 word dissertation on a laptop keyboard, trust me.

And for god's sake get it insured!
Reply 12
First in Flight
If you go with a laptop, then get an external keyboard and mouse to go with it. They're not expensive, and you do not want to type a 12,000 word dissertation on a laptop keyboard, trust me.

I do! :p: I guess it depends on the laptop. Personally, I find my [laptop] keyboard faster and more comfortable to use than any external keyboard I've used.
I guess it's down to personal preference. I dunno, I just like the "chunky" feel of a normal keyboard, plus, my laptop has quite fiddly keys. Still, a £10 USB mouse has to be a worthwhile investment at the least. Touchpads were sent by god to test our patience.
Reply 15
The difference between spec in a laptop and a desktop at the same price point will be huge. Especially at the lower end, don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.

Do you do anything that requires a large amount of computing power? Remember that a low end laptop will not play today's latest games let alone next years. A 17inch laptop will, more than likely, be too big, heavy and annoying to move around uni on the off chance that that you will need it.

I will be getting a nice laptop(Inspiron 1720 or XPS1530 with external monitor) which will not be moved from my desk and possibly an Asus EEEPC or a Nokia N810 for internet when I am out.

Edit: You should go for the laptop but try and spend a bit more if you can. It seems like portability is the most important factor for you.
Reply 16
Gaming on a laptop at a budget price point will be horrible; if it's that important to you a desktop might be better. Desktops can also be added to later too remember if you could see yourself doing that.

But if you want portability... laptop always wins.
got to agree with suek and anyone - you will find a massive difference between a desktop and laptop spec, and this will have impact on things like gaming etc. bear in mind that desktops are easier and cheaper to repair and upgrade too. you don't need a super powerful computer to listen to music, browse the internet or type a history paper (hence why these really cheap packages that include printers etc are excellent). comfort is important - i can never get on with laptop screens and small keyboards (but then again, i'm writing a thesis not an essay). if your parents are going to collect you every 10 weeks then putting a computer in a car isn't a problem, but if you are going to catch a coach/train yourself with your dirty washing, then a laptop is obviously better.

also (very important point) - are you expected to work over your holidays? if you are at oxford then the answer is yes, so you will definately need access to a computer at your home.
Reply 18
I took a desktop because I'm not too much of a great fan of laptops because of their specs and things. Truth be told I've never really needed a laptop or missed one, if I did, i'd save up or advise you to.

Most if not all universities have a ridiculous amount of computer access free of charge in their libraries and buildings, and a desktop will last longer and be alot easier to upgrade and update passess unlike the laptop.

Also its good to have a little base and that for it all, I use mine all the time here, and i'm same as you, just nice to go home and wack FM on, although i am jealous of my mate who plays FM in lectures. Although saying that if i did that i'd learn nothing and I dont pay over 3k to do that!
Desktop definately. A new laptop was a complete waste of my money. The laptop hasn't even left my room.

A desktop costs 1/4 the price for the same preformance that a laptop offers.

Latest

Trending

Trending